Hey Hot Shot Photo Competition

Dave_W

The Dude
Ouch!!! $70 to enter this photo contest and the price goes up from there?!? Why on earth would they need $70 per photo??? That just doesn't seem right to me.

AC016

Ouch!!! $70 to enter this photo contest and the price goes up from there?!? Why on earth would they need $70 per photo??? That just doesn't seem right to me.

I would imagine that some of it goes to the prizes they are giving out. Couple of other things to consider: they get 50% of the commision if your work is sold in their gallery/website. If your work is chosen to be displayed, you have to pay for it to be framed, shipped, insured, the production costs, etc. And of course, they are not responsible if your nicely framed picture gets damaged or stolen while in their hands. Good luck to anyone who joins :)

§am

<rant>
What happened to the days of, the little people enter for free, the organisers got the sponsors footing the bill/prizes, and everyone was a winner all round.

Now it's all about lets collect $x from entrants, and then when they win, rip them off for producing such masterpieces :(
And on top of that, any copyrights etc are then part owned by them too!!!

</rant>

fotojack

IMHO...any "contest" that charges a "fee" to enter is nothing but a ripoff. Reminds me of those Nigerian lottery scams that say "You won the lottery, and for a "processing" fee of $1000 we'll send you a check for $50,000. SS381 is absolutely right......get sponsors to pick up the costs of the contest. THEN it's a contest!

Carolina Photo Guy

IMHO...any "contest" that charges a "fee" to enter is nothing but a ripoff. Reminds me of those Nigerian lottery scams that say "You won the lottery, and for a "processing" fee of $1000 we'll send you a check for $50,000. SS381 is absolutely right......get sponsors to pick up the costs of the contest. THEN it's a contest!

I went to that site and looked EVERYTHING over right careful like.

They don't even offer dinner and a couple of drinks.

If I'm getting screwed, then I'm getting dinner and drinks at the very least!

:devilish:

Billy Y.

It looks to me like it is aimed more at professionals, I've looked at a similar one in the past. It's advertising for your company of you win, something to add to your credentials. National geographic also had one a few years back that was $50 dollars to enter, I would have done that one but found it too late for the deadline. The way I looked at that $50 dollar entry was that it was National Geograhic, I mean who wouldn't want to try and win that one.
Anyway, if you don't like it don't enter - I'm sure Jenga was just trying to be helpful, no need to tear it apart.

Last edited: