Pamela : Fashion Goth Shoot

Robert Mitchell

This is the very beautiful Pamela from a fashion goth shoot. You'll be seeing a lot of Pamela, as we work together quite a bit.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 24-70mm f2.8

Settings:
ISO 200, 62mm, f/8, 1/125s

Lighting:
Main light - 22" beauty dish w/grid and diffusion sock [positioned on axis and just above the lens]
Edge lights (2) - 14" x 55" strip boxes with 2 layers of diffusion and grid [each strip is positioned 4 feet away and 6 feet behind the subject]

Two 24" x 72" black cutters were used to flag light coming from the edge lights that may enter the lens and cause flare or reduce contrast.

7615720974_695035a7a6_b.jpg

Attachments

• 7615720974_695035a7a6_b.jpg
    7615720974_695035a7a6_b.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 116

KWJams

Excellent shot & model. She has an intriguing Mona Lisa like look about her expression that leads the viewer to wonder what she is thinking.

Not sad, angry, mad, happy, glum, bored or joyful. Just a look that is nothing but yells something.

TedG954

I think she's "locked and loaded". She has her sights set, and she's making the final adjustments to go in for the kill. Her target isn't going to know what hit him.

And, she doesn't take prisoners.

I have an active imagination. :topsy_turvy:

§am

Nice pic but I'm (personally) not too keen on the smooth look to her skin - doesn't look natural enough to me.

As for her 'look'... hmm seems to me like, "I've got my jacket on and I'm going" pi$$ed off look. Something in the eyes and the mouth expression that screamed out at me when I saw the pic first

Last edited:

Robert Mitchell

Nice pic but I'm (personally) too keen on the smooth look to her skin - doesn't look natural enough to me.

As for her 'look'... hmm seems to me like, "I've got my jacket on and I'm going" pi$$ed off look. Something in the eyes and the mouth expression that screamed out at me when I saw the pic first

Hi SS381,

Thank you. Retouching is a very personal thing and it's specific to the look or the shot. The look of the retouching on the skin is all intentional and I'm always aware of the fact that not everyone is going to like everything all the time. That's part of life and I'm cool with it.

Consider this, though..... based on the overall look, the hair color, the makeup..... do you really think that natural skin with a lot of texture would complete the look? That's cool if you do but the retouching was based on a concept and overall look which is really far from 'natural'.

Anyway, you'll see in other images I post that the degree and style of retouching is always based on the shot and sometimes the intent is to have beautiful, natural looking skin while other times it's going to be over the top.

§am

Robert - hope I didn't offend, it was merely a remark on that particular shot. However, having seen the above image too, and looking at the earlier image, I can see what you mean about how retouching is particular to each shot, and how it can totally transform the overall feel on it.

Looking at the 2 pics side by side so to speak, I can see that the natural look on the first one might not be as stunning as your post production work on it :)

Now if only I had the skill and time to learn such things :(