New to DSLR having trouble in Shutter Priority Mode

orangelover

Hi there- Received a D200 from my generous uncle with a fantastic Tamron lens. Trying to take action shots. When I use Shutter Priority Mode my shots are often dark. Do I raise ISO? + exposure ? I will be taking lots of action shots during Halloween . Is it possible to get sharp action shots when the light is not that great? Thanks in advance!

Kamesh

Hi there,

There are two aspects - 1) Using the Auto mode, where you set the dial to ACTION shots, 2) The Manual Mode, where you adjust the shutter speed (for action shots) then accordingly adjust the ISO and exposure while leaving the Auto Focus on.

I do not know anything about theory, but i keep on experimenting and remember the selection of settings which gave me good results and learn accordingly.

Enjoy the DSLR :)

orangelover

Hi!
Thank you! I've got an old D200 DSLR and there is no ACTION setting. :(
What should I set my ISO and exposure for evening light and action? TIA! :) When I tried S priority the other evening the shots were black without the flash.

Kamesh

Really i have no clue about D200. I am being honest here.
But, you can just google about that and find valuable tips. Search with "How to take action shots with D200" and you will find many hits.
Best gift to human race is "Google"

orangelover

Yup. I've been googling like a madman trying to find my answer. ;) I'll keep trying. I love this old camera but it is a bit antiquated!

RockyNH_RIP

I have been reading the other answers (google and the link to the D200 are the best!!) and can only add a couple things. Google D200 Manual if you do not have one... that may offer some tips... In "general":

For action.. you need a faster shutter..

if photo's are dark, you need to set a larger aperture (not sure what lens you have)
" " " " " , you need to also set a higher ISO (though some get real noisy with a high aperture)

If flash is an option, that will also help with the darker shots... again, I am not at all familiar with your camera (and lens - focal length, zoom, aperture)... just throwing out some general thoughts...

And Welcome!!!

Pat in NH

orangelover

Thanks so much, Pat! I have a Tamron Lens 18-270mm. Yes. Flash is an option. Usually not my favorite but I may have to use for evening shots of trick or treating! :)
The shots do get noisy with the high ISO. Will experiment!

Something I learned a long time ago is " There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" for everything you get you give up something. Large aperture lets in more light but you lose depth of field. Slower shutter speed you get blur. Higher iso you get noise. Trying to get the best balance is the trick we are all looking for every day. Good luck.