Which direction?

car99r

So, I am in the market for a good Wide-Angle or even UWA but not sure which direction to go.

I do a lot of studio shooting with a short relative distance of say around 18' form subject? I also have been doing some shoots with cars/model and bike/models. I find that with my 35 1.8 lens it seems I am too far away to get a good shot of the model while still including the vehicle and would like to get closer.

Now, here is the interesting part... I curretnly have a DX camera (D3100) and plan to buy a new FF (D800) in February/March. Is there a lense you would recommend that would get me by till I get the new camera and then be perfect for the FF or should I buy DX and just keep the D3100 for these type of shots?

Confused yet? I am... haha

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

The ultimate choice for me would be the 14-24 f2.8 but new they run close to 2K. On your DX body that is an 21-36 mm equivilant which is much wider than your 35 mm (52 mm) and when you go full frame it would be perfect. Guess I am a little confused over being too far away but wanting to capture the entire car which calls for wide if you're close but still including a close up of the model, normally can't do both.

Last edited:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

This is a quite pricey at $1999.00 Wide Angle lens for use with either a DX or FX body. On a DX body it would be 21-36mm.

Amazon.com: Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

The ultimate choice for me would be the 14-24 f2.8 but new they run close to 2K. On your DX body that is an 21-36 mm equivilant which is much wider than your 35 mm (52 mm) and when you go full frame it would be perfect. Guess I am a little confused over being too far away but wanting to capture the entire car which calls for wide if you're close but still including a close up of the model, normally can't do both.

Great Minds think alike I guess.

BTW ... My name is Bill also

car99r

Maybe I am way off then? I would like to be able to include the entire car or bike in the shot but yet still be close enough I get the model better as well. Currently I am just using kit lens or my 35 1.8mm and it seems if I stand back far enough to get the entire car or bike then the model is not real clear... Am I way off base?... haha

Both the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S and the Nikon 16-35mm F4 AF-S VR are on Ken Rockwells dream team.
but Ken rates the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S just slightly higher because of its tougher construction.

Ken does say however;
"The Nikon 16-35mm VR is smaller and lighter, and very slightly sharper than the 14-24mm, however it uses more plastic.
I prefer the 16-35mm VR for actual shooting, and haven't used the clumsy 14-24mm ever since my 16-35mm arrived, but for pure "look what I own" Dream-Team pride, the mechanically tougher 14-24mm remains king."​

Your kit lens, being the 18-55mm AF-S VR lens? BTW ... on your D3100 that translates to a 27-82.5mm lens, with the crop factor.
And the 18mm wide end of the kit lens isnt wide enough?

car99r

Your kit lens, being the 18-55mm AF-S VR lens? BTW ... on your D3100 that translates to a 27-82.5mm lens, with the crop factor.
And the 18mm wide end of the kit lens isnt wide enough?

Well, to be honest I didn't even think about trying it on this last bike shoot. I had picked up a wide angle attachment off amazon until I could afford something better so I used it in conjunction with my 35mm 1.8 and the photos are all blurry outside of center. I am guessing this thing is just junk or maybe something I did? Anyhow, it got me to thinking I needed to get a wide angle lens.

I still am wanting to pick up some good 2.8 glass so maybe that would be better money spent and try using this 18-55 first...

I guess when you are headed in one direction it helps to get others input... haha

Well, to be honest I didn't even think about trying it on this last bike shoot. I had picked up a wide angle attachment off amazon until I could afford something better so I used it in conjunction with my 35mm 1.8 and the photos are all blurry outside of center. I am guessing this thing is just junk or maybe something I did? Anyhow, it got me to thinking I needed to get a wide angle lens.

I still am wanting to pick up some good 2.8 glass so maybe that would be better money spent and try using this 18-55 first...

I guess when you are headed in one direction it helps to get others input... haha

Just out of curiosity which wide angle attachment/lens did you pick up off of Amazon?
Yes you will find that most of the information you can get from sites like this are invaluable.

car99r

Just out of curiosity which wide angle attachment/lens did you pick up off of Amazon?
Yes you will find that most of the information you can get from sites like this are invaluable.

I believe it was this one but I think I gave around $30.00 for mine. Just goes to show I guess that trying to go the cheap route is not correct... haha