Yellowstone Park with the D800

Billy Y.

We took a quick 2 day photo trip to Yellowstone last weekend and thought I would share a few shots. I highly recomend it.

DSC_1208.jpg

DSC_1590.jpg

DSC_1505.jpg

DSC_1465.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice shots Billy, they sure will make nice large prints for your viewing pleasure.

Great work!

Kamesh

Marvelous. Great shots Billy :)
You are sure a Rocker!
BTW, What lenses did you lose to get all these shots, if i may know. Secondly, the bird shots are taken in AutoFocus mode?

Billy Y.

Marvelous. Great shots Billy :)
You are sure a Rocker!
BTW, What lenses did you lose to get all these shots, if i may know. Secondly, the bird shots are taken in AutoFocus mode?

Thanks Kamesh, and yes the birds were in AF-C mode with manual AF point select. I used a Nikon 300 F2.8 with 1.7 teleconverter for all of the animal shots, and my Nikon 17-35 2.8 for the landscapes.

Last edited:

Kamesh

Thanks Kamesh, and yes the birds were in AF-C mode with manuall AF point select. I used a Nikon 300 F2.8 with 1.7 teleconverter for all of the animal shots, and my Nikon 17-35 2.8 for the landscapes.

Since i am trying to learn, when you mean manual AF point, i presume it could be single, 9 point, 21 point or 39 point AF, right? :)
And Billy, on FB by any chance?

Billy Y.

oops, another double post, sorry sometimes my browser freezes and everytime it ends in a double post....

Last edited:

Billy Y.

Thanks All!
Since i am trying to learn, when you mean manual AF point, i presume it could be single, 9 point, 21 point or 39 point AF, right? :)
And Billy, on FB by any chance?

Yes Kamesh, on the D800 it is 51, but I generally choose to select which one manually. If you have an action subject that fills the view finder, you can get very good results using AF continous paired with "Automatic" for the focus point. I have tried it a few times now and it does work good, but I don't trust it 100% yet.
Cheers
PS, Do you mean FaceBook? I am not a part of facebook, I have been avoiding it all these years. :)

Kamesh

Thanks All!

Yes Kamesh, on the D800 it is 51, but I generally choose to select which one manually. If you have an action subject that fills the view finder, you can get very good results using AF continous paired with "Automatic" for the focus point. I have tried it a few times now and it does work good, but I don't trust it 100% yet.
Cheers

I have to check that out. Just exploring my D7000 to the best possible extent. From now on shifting my focus to understand the subject and then take a pic :)

PS, Do you mean FaceBook? I am not a part of facebook, I have been avoiding it all these years. :)

Good one. I did stick my nose in and finding it hard to come out :)

Billy Y.

Thanks again for all the comments, it is really an amazing place. Animals, birds, and vistas all packed into a nice little package - if you ever have a chance to go...do it!