Too Many Models

Ruidoso Bill

I realize that Nikon needs to compete in the equipment race with all the manufacturers but does anyone else feel we have far too many models and it keeps growing. How about "Entry" "Mid" "Advanced" and the the "Pro" stays with single digits. We are just getting way to many zeros to be comfortable. Nikon is making it difficult to discern what is what!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I think it is only going to get worse with the rumored introduction of a mirrorless body.

I agree - looking at the model arrangement, it seems as though they've misplaced some of the numbers.

Pro-level: D1,D2(series),D3(series)
Pro-sumer: D100,D200,D300,D700
Advanced amateur: D80,D90
Beginner/consumer: D40,D50,D60,D70,D3000,D5000

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I was thinking of making a table comparing all the models complete with release dates, and other important data to display on the site. That wiki page is a good starting point.

It might make it easier for people to see visually when what camera came out, and what features each has. I know there is a Nikon document with the current cameras, but I haven't seen anything with all the cameras on it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I was thinking of making a table comparing all the models complete with release dates, and other important data to display on the site. That wiki page is a good starting point.

It might make it easier for people to see visually when what camera came out, and what features each has. I know there is a Nikon document with the current cameras, but I haven't seen anything with all the cameras on it.

Before you go to too much effort, you might want to look at this: Nikon DSLR Body Comparison Chart - Nikonians.org

Greywoulf

I think it is only going to get worse with the rumored introduction of a mirrorless body.

I would consider all this diversity as being better, not worse? :confused:
ALA they (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, etc...) can continue to make a profit doing this stuff, I don't see why having such a wide range of such absolutely great choices in DSLRs, Micros, Evls, P+S's, 4/3rd's,etc, etc, should be considered a problem???

Personally I think it's great! It gives me more to study about cameras! -I only wish I had more $$ to experiment with and try ALL OF 'EM!

So there.... :p :D:D

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
@Greywoulf: Not worse as far as diversity. I'm actually psyched to see what comes. I meant worse as far as new nomenclature.

Greywoulf

@Greywoulf: Not worse as far as diversity. I'm actually psyched to see what comes. I meant worse as far as new nomenclature.

Oh yeah... That's very true..! Sorry, I misunderstood... :eek:
It surely is difficult to keep up with all the names. letters, numbers, etc, that Nikon designates for not only the cameras but for all the various lenses, and which ones operate best with FX, DX, non AF motor bodies, AF motor bodies, and so on...

AND, if they do come out with separate lenses for mirrorless smaller DSLRs (and are these really DSLRs then if you're not really looking thru the lens?), then it is gonna get more complicated! -Hey,as it is it took me about six months just to figure out first what camera body I really wanted (the D40), and then which Nikkor lenses worked best with it!