CLS with the D300

simonhodge

When moving to Nikon one of my reasons was the CLS. I have been using it on the D300 and loving it but lately have been noticing it not working correctly all the time. I have only one nikon speedlight, an SB910, so am using the pop-up flash as commander. Obviously i know there are limitationg with the CLS particularly with regards line-of-sight but taking them into consideration the pop-up triggers the SB910 everytime and as it should. I have the camera set to always have the pop-up as commander only but lately i am finding that the pop-up is being included in some of the images even though when i check the setting it is still set up as commander only. Usually when i start of using it all works correctly for at most 6 shots and then after that the CLS still works but the pop-up starts being included. My settings would be the standard 1/60 while using AP mode. When i change to manual and going into high speed sync then the pop-up starts behaving correctly again.

Ovbiously a easy fix is to buy an SU800 but i shouldnt need to do that.

Please someone help me :)

Geoffc

One thing I noticed when setting up the menu in the picture is that you have to press the OK button for the settings to take. I had a habit of pressing the rocker switch on my D300s and it didn't actually accept the changes as I expected.

When the problem happens, is to screen still set something like this?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350296031.054648.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350296031.054648.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 155

Geoffc

It sounds like a fault if it's doing kit randomly. It may be worth getting the shield. I'm not sure with long exposures and flash if the commander flash might show up without one

simonhodge

Was hoping you wouldnt say that and that there was maybe a firmware update that would sort it. I bought it used from a shop in England at the start of September and it has a 3 month warranty so i have sent them and email explaining it. Will let you know how i get on.

Last edited:

simonhodge

Well i contacted the shop and they werent very helpful. At first they suggested using a cable release??? Cant see how that would make a difference. Then they just suggested contacting Nikon directly. I did that and Nikon came back to me very quickly and said i would need to use one of the shields so i ordered one. Also managed to get a second nikon speedlight off ebay so cant wait to really start playing now ;)