AF area mode for group photo

bhaskarv87

Hi I'm having D7000 with 18-105 VR-II lense. I'm a new beginner to digital photography. I would like to know which AF area mode I have to keep for a group photo which has more than 2 person. I have gone through so many website in net and I'm thinking to keep AF-S with single point focus. My doubt is if I keep single point focus on whom I have to keep focus.

Or do I need to keep AUTO focus point in AF-S mode with Aperture being f/8.

Do I need to keep AF focus point to 11point or 39 point?

I would like to know which metering mode is perfect along with focus point for group photo.

Kindly let me know the details.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Besides the point that nothing is perfect, here are a couple of pointers.

The main thing you want to remember is that it all depends if the two persons are in the same focus plane. If they are side by side, I would use single point on one of the person's eyes, lock focus and then recompose. F-8 should be fine with this. Now, for a larger group when some people are in multiple rows, you might want to go to f11, and depending on the number of rows, focus on one person in the second or third row. Remember that even with closing the aperture, you always get more sharpness further back from the focus point then closer in. Usually, if I remember my physics right, usually you get 2/3 focus back and 1/3 front of depth of field.

If the picture is important, take a shot, have them wait around while you check on your camera and zoom in to make sure the focus is there.

Good luck and enjoy your Nikon!