Which DSLR is ideal for a rookie?

Dave_W

The Dude
The D40 is a pretty old camera. My only advice is to be sure the price you're paying for it is commensurate with its age and lack of modern features. If you find the price is about the same as something like a used D3000, then I would go for the newer D3000 over the D40.

Ruidoso Bill

I found this D40 for exchange and i was wondering if it's worth getting it, in order for me to get into photography.

What are you thinking of exchanging, I have no idea what an expresso machine is worth etc. Is it a D40 or D40X the X has higher resolution and is worth a little more. Ebay looks like they are selling D40 kits from +/- $350 - $450 so only you can be the judge when doing an exchange or trade. The D40 although a capable camera is considered an older entry level camera.

jrmond

Thank you for the response everyone! I have a custom - made rig to offer in exchange. I don't think he/she asks for money, otherwise it would have been already stated. Unfortunately i don't have an espresso machine but it would make it a better deal since they cost much less! Regardless, just the idea of the exchange gives more options to be creative!
I will let you know how it goes!

fotojack

I found this D40 for exchange and i was wondering if it's worth getting it, in order for me to get into photography.

To get into photography....I'd say go for it. It takes great pictures, easy to handle, not as advanced as some of the newer models, of course, but still a great little camera. I still use mine for walking around with and general photography. Check its actuations if you can (ask the guy that's offering it). It comes with the 18-55 lens, so that's a good start.

Eye-level

Banned
A D40X in excellent condition (less than 10K actuations) is worth $225. The lens another $50. Yes it is a great camera. My sister has been a long time Nikon shooter and has had many different ones. She gave her D40 to our mom. She bought a D3100 a year or so ago when she was in between cameras having sold her main unit. She tells me the D40 makes better pictures than the 3100. The traitor is shooting with some kind of Sony unit now...she tells me she doesn't like it that much and would prefer to have even my D5000 to the Sony...hahaha So she has a high dollar Sony...but shoots with her entry level D3100. :)

jrmond

I was only worried to the fact that DSLRs can't stand through time ,technology wise, unlike the old school SLRs. I will go for it though and I have already made my offer to her!

Thanks again for your help!