Favorite Inexpensive Photography Gadget?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I thought it might be fun to start a thread to find out what little and inexpensive (let's say less than US$25) gadgets people find useful. I'll bet we each wind up buying one or two of them! :eek:

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
LumiQuest Soft Screen Diffuser

Since I started the thread, I figure I should also make the first reply. My favorite gadget is always with me. It is the LumiQuest Soft Screen diffuser. It is about the size of a 3" x 5" index card which you wrap around your pop-up flash. I've found that this device and lowering the flash output to -0.3 or -0.7 works extremely well when I don't have one of my Speedlights handy. The best part? It is on US$13.95 (plus shipping).

More info: LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Soft Screen

softscreen.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any business relationship with the vendor and am only a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I really like the Nikon lens cloth. I have it clipped to the camera strap. I end up using it a lot on my glasses too :)

Browncoat

As for myself, I have two low cost gadgets that are in my bag:

The first is just a bit over the $25 price cap, but I think it bears mentioning here because it's incredibly useful and is also along the lines of Eduard's suggestion. I use Professor Kobre's LightScoop, which weighs in @ $29.95

camera.jpg

This handy do-dad attaches to your camera's hot shoe and has a built-in mirror that deflects the flash beam and bounces it off the ceiling or wall and back towards your subject for softer, more diffuse light. Say goodbye to red eye and harsh shadows from overpowering flash units!

My second gadget is the Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote, which costs around $15. This thing is great for reducing camera shake and avoiding the awkwardness of using the camera's timer function.

Curt

Here is a little item I paid $2.00 for. I bought it at the dollar store, and it is actually used to store a tomato in, Tupperware I believe. I use it on my SB-600 speed light as a diffuser. Because of it dome like shape it disperses the light very evenly.
And as I said the cost is almost nothing. You have to put a bit of work into it (cutting out the back so it fits over your flash). But it only takes a few minutes with a shape knife.
Way better diffuser then the bought ones at around $30.00.

july 22th 2010 005.jpg

Zulumika

Mine is a little more expensive - 65$ - but I think its worth it. It's my mb-d80 knock-off battery grip for my D90. I bough that thing on Amazon.ca: the grip, 2 bats and a remote - all for 65$CAD. Ok it's not the real thing, it doses not feel like the real thing, but it works very well and and has been working fine for the last 3 months. For thoses who are curious, search for "neewer battery grip d90".

I also got the Gary Fong "Puffer" for 30$. It's not a revolution in terms of diffuser, but it's better than nothing.

Curt

Link Delight has battery grips for a really good price and they are every bit as good as the nikon, you can't tell the difference :).