70-200 f2.8

Ruidoso Bill

I s anyone using the sigma alternative to the Nikon 70-200 f2.8? I just read on Borrow Lenses that the Nikon Basic VR has vignette issues on full frame that the VR II corrected but my gosh Nikon loves this lens. Even used they are expensive. What about the 70-200 f2.8 non VR?

I just got hired to shoot a ballet and just know the 70-200 is the right lens for the job.

In Sigma is the DG a standard fullframe lens and the DC optimized for DX?

Sambr

I have the original Nikon 70-200vr and it works great on all my FX bodies(D3s, D700 $ D800) it's my most used lens after the 300mm f4. The little bit of vignetting is simply corrected in LR even the new one vignettes a bit. Put it this way Bill there is no way I would sell mine to buy the new version.

pedroj

I shot a ballet school concert the last 4 years and used the 28-70mm...

Last year they did The Lion King...One of the Granddaughters dances with this school..

I was seated in the 5th row and some of the lighting was very poor..Here's an example..

Attachments

• D 136.jpg
    D 136.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 328

stmv

the 70-200 2.8 VRII sounds wonderful, but at 2400 dollars, really an expensive piece of glass for so many.

for others that don't require the absolute best, or perhaps cannot afford this cost, the 80-200 2.8 is still available brand new on sell at 1080 dollars, and it is a solid tank. I suspect the difference between the two is minor for most photographers.

I have been using the 80-200 for a couple of years, and have gotten really sharp shots, and I use tripod when the light gets low, so the VRII is less of an issue for me (since you turn off VR for tripod mode).

both lens are heavy, so when I am traveling light, and want to use a 200, I actually like the 200 mm F4 prime,, sharp, and incrediblely small lens (look it up). best of all a bargain,, often can pick up for under 70 dollars!.

Sambr

Last year they did The Lion King...One of the Granddaughters dances with this school..

I was seated in the 5th row and some of the lighting was very poor..Here's an example..
??????! Diffrent animal the discussion is about the 70-200VR not the 28-70 2.8.

Ruidoso Bill

This is for the Nutcracker, it is the school that is hiring me. I thought especially for the Dress Rehearsal/Performance part the reach of the 70-200 would be the right choice. Maybe I should be trusting the high iso performance of my D800 and slower glass to do the job.

Ruidoso Bill

I have the original Nikon 70-200vr and it works great on all my FX bodies(D3s, D700 $ D800) it's my most used lens after the 300mm f4. The little bit of vignetting is simply corrected in LR even the new one vignettes a bit. Put it this way Bill there is no way I would sell mine to buy the new version.

Thanks Sam

Dave_W

The Dude
This is for the Nutcracker, it is the school that is hiring me. I thought especially for the Dress Rehearsal/Performance part the reach of the 70-200 would be the right choice. Maybe I should be trusting the high iso performance of my D800 and slower glass to do the job.

When I'm shooting low light venues like concerts I find it useful to not only bring my fasted zoom on my D800 but to also bring along a second body equipped with a fast prime lens. In my case I like to bring my D7000 with my 85mm f/1.8G. While I do like the f/2.8 images from my 24-70mm, the f/1.8's are generally much sharper. Ideal if you're looking to get facial expressions, etc.

pedroj

One year I shot it with the 80-200mm but had to position myself up the back...1500 seats in the theater...

I see you have the D800 so the 70-200mm could be OK...Is it possible to have a look at the venue early...

Ruidoso Bill

One year I shot it with the 80-200mm but had to position myself up the back...1500 seats in the theater...

I see you have the D800 so the 70-200mm could be OK...Is it possible to have a look at the venue early...

I've been to the theater before, never shot a performance though. Helene and I shot a wedding out there once in the lobby all glass Spencer Theater. There are a week of rehearsals prior to the "Dress" rehearsal then 3 nightly performances, they have also lined me up for portrait and class shots at the dance studio. Could end up being very good for me so guess I'll buy the lens.

Ruidoso Bill

If you want to see the 70-200VR in action go to my smugmug @ Sam's Photos | SmugMug goto the folder TCCD most of the shots were at ISO 12,800 tell me there is something wrong with the original 70-200VR :)

Great, just bought one off the bay regular VR, there is a video on youtube that also is very good comparison, Lens Comp I hope it works out well. Guess next will be the little brother but my gosh this is getting expensive, no more body's this year.

Last edited:

pedroj

I've been to the theater before, never shot a performance though. Helene and I shot a wedding out there once in the lobby all glass Spencer Theater. There are a week of rehearsals prior to the "Dress" rehearsal then 3 nightly performances, they have also lined me up for portrait and class shots at the dance studio. Could end up being very good for me so guess I'll buy the lens.

The school I used to shoot [Had to give it away after last year] had 230 dancers, some of them do classical, jazz, tap and contemporary 4 costumes 4 photos plus a group....I use to print all the images at 6x4s [they could buy them then and there at the rehearsal] and have the parents order enlargements if they wanted them...A very good money spinner..

Ruidoso Bill

The school I used to shoot [Had to give it away after last year] had 230 dancers, some of them do classical, jazz, tap and contemporary 4 costumes 4 photos plus a group....I use to print all the images at 6x4s [they could buy them then and there at the rehearsal] and have the parents order enlargements if they wanted them...A very good money spinner..

I have already told them they can order prints at Zenfolio, I am also available to print up to 18 X 24 on my designjet for collages etc, you sound like you miss it?