Tokina 11-16mm Vs Sigma 10-20mm

sourab89

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a wide angle lens for myself as I find the need of it during weddings. found two lens, but not sure which one to buy - Tokina 11-16mm / Sigma 10-20mm. Can you share some suggestions or some comparitive study between the two ?

Shoots808

I will sell you my 35mm 1.8 DX prime. I am saving for the Tokina. I want the 11-16 for landscape stuff. I don't do weddings but I have enjoyed the 35mm, it's a great lens, I wish I could afford to keep it and still get the 11-16.

sourab89

:) i can buy your 35mm but shipping it all the way to india will cost me more than the lens :p

But I feel 11-16 or 10-20 is not a good choice for wedding shoots...

WhiteLight

I have read some amazing reviews about both the Sigma 10-20 & Tokina 11-16,
but between the two i would think the Tokina seems to be performing better.
i don't have either, just encapsulating what i've read..
i see you are in Pune, do you know where the Tokina is available?
as far as i know there's only one retailer in delhi... have been trying to get my hands on the tokina myself

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Another thing to consider is the weight. I think, correct me if I'm wrong that the Tokina is a constant 2.8. Personally I have the sigma and am very happy with it's sharpness and quality.

sourab89

I have read some amazing reviews about both the Sigma 10-20 & Tokina 11-16,
but between the two i would think the Tokina seems to be performing better.
i don't have either, just encapsulating what i've read..
i see you are in Pune, do you know where the Tokina is available?
as far as i know there's only one retailer in delhi... have been trying to get my hands on the tokina myself

i will get it online through flipkart or ebay.in.... hmm same here heard that tokina is performing better...

@ marcel - yes tokina is 2.8 and sigma is 4. So, tokina will work better in low light conditions...

WhiteLight

be sure to get the pro DX II model..
it comes with an in-built focus motor...
oh wait a minute, you have the D7000! Duh..
yeah, the pro dx is available easily, i need the pro dxII as i have the 5100.. bummer :(
and i've checked on flipkart & ebay, the new ones are not available..
btw if your budget allows you, go for the 10-24 nikon... its fabulous..
check out rick's thread for the 10-24.. mind blowing

sourab89

be sure to get the pro DX II model..
it comes with an in-built focus motor...
oh wait a minute, you have the D7000! Duh..
yeah, the pro dx is available easily, i need the pro dxII as i have the 5100.. bummer :(
and i've checked on flipkart & ebay, the new ones are not available..
btw if your budget allows you, go for the 10-24 nikon... its fabulous..
check out rick's thread for the 10-24.. mind blowing

:) yeah i will need the DX model... I m kind of confused at the price ! DX model costs 42k ?
I have huge issue regarding the budget... gonna save for the lens !!!
currently confused between 11-16mm, 35mm, 85mm and 10-20mm...
lets see... :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
:) yeah i will need the DX model... I m kind of confused at the price ! DX model costs 42k ?
I have huge issue regarding the budget... gonna save for the lens !!!
currently confused between 11-16mm, 35mm, 85mm and 10-20mm...
lets see... :)

Don't confuse yourself too much. I'm certain that for events and weddings, the 17-55 is the range that will be used the most. Exceptionally you might have to use the extra wide angle (10-20), but it won't be that often. I think it's better to spend more on the lens that will be used most of the time than spread your money around on lenses that you will not use that often.
Sometimes experience of others can be a good teacher...:ambivalence:

sourab89

Hmmm true, i m confusing myself more than i should... I guess I am forcing myself to use a landscape lens into wedding... Problem with 17-55mm is that it is not available in india - i have to wait for someone in US to come to india... lets see... I guess it will be worth the wait... I have to save more for that lens ! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmmm true, i m confusing myself more than i should... I guess I am forcing myself to use a landscape lens into wedding... Problem with 17-55mm is that it is not available in india - i have to wait for someone in US to come to india... lets see... I guess it will be worth the wait... I have to save more for that lens ! :)

The alternative is the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is as sharp as the Nikon (well for the one I got) it also has VR (VC for Tamron) and less than half the price.

Shoots808

:) i can buy your 35mm but shipping it all the way to india will cost me more than the lens :p

But I feel 11-16 or 10-20 is not a good choice for wedding shoots...

yeah, I don't know about shipping to India, it might be too expensive for us.

Last edited:

sourab89

The alternative is the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is as sharp as the Nikon (well for the one I got) it also has VR (VC for Tamron) and less than half the price.

Yes true, I was checking that lens only.. The cost is half than that of Nikon's. I guess I will go for this lens... Thanks a lot sir !