Nikon 55-300 vs 55-200

obmij77

I am still using the 18-55 lens that came with my D3100 but can already see that a telephoto will be required. However i just wondered how i should approach my purchase choice...a couple of facts:

* I am fairly sure (95%) that it should be a nikon lens
* I want good zoom but also quality and have heard the 55-200 is good thru the range but the 55-300 is soft beyond 200mm...so why buy it?
* I would like to use it for the following: nature, animals and ideally aircraft photos (airshows etc) as such I believe 70-300 is better as it focuses much more quickly.....but is not suited or indeed does not work with the D3100 as it is an FX not DX lens.

I know that i would be getting a rough 5.5 zoom with the 55-300 and 4 with the 55-200 but is magnification really worth it if quality drops.

So which to buy and why? Any first hand guidance would help.

§am

If you want it for airshows etc I'd say go for the 70-300mm. I have the 55-200mm and it's good for safari parks etc, but don't think I would find much use for it for airshows (I might be wrong though, never tried it, but the extra reach would be useful anyway).

Also factor in that an FX lens on a DX body will give you a 1.5x multiplier, so the 70-300mm will effectively be a 82-450mm.
Someone also correct me, but as you are using the centre of the FX lens (because of the DX crop), you get the 'sweet spot' of the lens so 'better' pictures.

If you want to try them out, go down to Jessops and play around (if the staff there are happy to help).
Worse comes to worse if you get really stuck and any advice given here doesn't help(!!), then hire a lens for a few days.
I think you can hire the 70-300mm for £<30 for a weekend, though it does mean, £30 less to spend on the lens :(

stmv

I have an older 70-300, and the 55-300 lens. both lens work on the DX sensor, with the same 1.5 multiplier.

The issue is that the 55-300, would not project fully on a FX sensor.

I actually like the 55-300 and have gotten reasonable sharpness with it.

obmij77

All really great feedback thanks so much. Interested regards the fx/dx crossover and would like a better sweet-spot and of course the ability to focus with more confidence.

SS381 - good idea regards hiring...never even thought of it.

obmij77

Hi stmv....do you mean that you get a 1.5 multiplier on both lens (fx and dx)....if so why on both types going on a dx body.

Pierro

The D3100 will give you 1.5x LESS FOV. Thats the nature of crop cameras and how they got their name. The FOV though any lens is cropped down when compared with the same lens on any FX body

For arguments, rather than mathematical accuracy...
Lets say you mounted a 100mm lens on your DX 3100 and at 100ft the FOV was 100ft. If you mounted that same 100mm lens on an FX body and stood at the same spot, the FOV at 100ft would be 150ft

Last edited:

Rick M

You are just cropping the actual image, both will seem like 450mm on dx. Both of these lenses will hunt. With the 70-300 you are probably gaining a slight IQ advantage (at a price) and it is Fx so you are set if you eventually go Fx.

Nikon Photographer

I bought the 55-300 last year, but only got the chance to try it out in June, cracking lens, and I can't see any problems at the 300mm end ...

_DSC0120.jpg

stmv

I see your question on the 1.5X was answered, I would not worry about upgrading to an FX camera, when you do, you can easily sell DX lenses.

More as a price/value choice, sometimes one lens is more on sale than others. Yes, these lenses go on sale. I got a great deal 30% off.

The 55-300 is not super fast on focus. Most of these entry level lenses are fairly slow. So, compared to my 80-200 2.8, the lens is glacier, but still gets nice shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

§am

obmij77 try Lenses For Hire if you want to rent a lens.

They'll deliver the lens a day BEFORE your hire period starts, and you return the lens the day AFTER your hire period ends. Time it right and effectively you get the lens for around two days extra :)

Last edited: