Help, many lenses!!!

stunoma

Hello everyone, New here and very new to photography. Recently acquired a D90 with many lenses. I feel completely overwhelmed because i have no idea what most of them are used for. I got this equipment from my younger sister, who is now away at school and kind of fell out of photography. So any info or websites to look up stuff would be a great help. Anyway heres what i have

Body D90
lenses.
Nikon Nikor DX AF FISHEYE Nikkor 10.5MM 1:2.8 G ED
SIGMA DG 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Nikon VR DX AF-S Nikoor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED
Nikon DX AF-s Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II ED
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8D
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D
Nikor af Nikkor 35mm on a Nikor FM2 body

Thanks again

stunoma

thanks a lot!! i just been using the 18-55mm to get a hang of the camera itself. I literally just got all this stuff maybe a week or two ago, I plan on spending some quality time with everything today!!

Last edited:

DrMarm

Congrats!

You are so fortunate to have so many to chose from. For accurate descriptions of the lenses, go the the Nikon website...your sister has tremendous taste for good glass! (slang for lenses)

You are off to a great start with the 18-55! Another way to adjust with your camera would be with the 50mm...a great lens for street shooting.

If you need to let the camera do more work for you, as you learn--shoot in Program not Auto.

Best wishes,

DrMarm
(Laura Twining)

Last edited by a moderator:

TedG954

The great thing about digital photography is you can play as long as you like and it costs you nothing.... until you burn up the camera years down the road.

Take lots of photos, find some editing software, and just do as you please.

stunoma

haha Yeah, what a wonderful problem to have in my situation!! gona shoot some photos of my friends jeep tonight and some other stuff. Im pretty much gona be restricted to a parking garage though due to crappy weather.

§am

I wish i had a younger sister that left me a gift like that...

Just point, shoot, change the lens and do it again and again and again. With such a nice focal range and some nice lenses there, you'll soon find one you really enjoy shooting with :)

fotojack

Inside the garage, I'd be using the 85 and/or the 50. Find a workshop light and use it to highlight the Jeep. If you have a flash, use it off camera using the Commander Mode.

Eye-level

Banned
I don't believe a Zoom kit lens is ever as sharp as a Prime lens, is it?

Sharpness is over rated except in landscape and architecture...good light and good light transference to the sensor plane is way more important...modern day lenses rather zoom or prime are phenomenal or however you spell it... :)

Last edited: