D600 First Impressions

Rick M

After a few weeks with the D600 I thought I'd share some experiences and thoughts. I'm comming from a D5100 and was convinced I'd stay with Dx, until the D600 became a reality. I was concerned about the size and portability of Fx with the type of shooting I enjoy and the weight on long hikes. I was on the fence waiting for the next great Dx or perhaps going with the D7000. When the true specs came out on the D600, only slightly larger than the D7000, I decided to take the plunge.

I'm surpised just how compact it is. I was expecting a huge difference from the D5100, but was pleasently suprised. The larger size is much more comfortable in the hands and the size/weight increase is hardly noticeable now that I am used to it. I'm currently using the 24-85vr which is a nice compact lens, I may feel a bit different if I was carrying a 24-70 around. I did have to get the next size up Thinktank holster bag. The body is very solid and came with a nice LCD screen cover which snaps on.

It is really nice having all the extra controls, very little menu surfing when I'm shooting. I was surprised with the limited bracketing steps, they can be 1/3 or 1/2, but only up to 1, adjustments after 1 are in full 1 step increments. I used to shoot at 1.7 with the D5100, now it is either 1 or 2, nothing available between (perhaps I'm missing something).

I feel like I am getting more light, perhaps one stop more. I attribute this to the Fx sensor which is amazing in detail. I also feel i have better highlight control (less blown out areas). It's great to crop an image and still have a large enough file for a 20x30 print!

Another concern I had had on future Dx bodies was pixel density. Sensors become diffraction limited with greater pixel density (not just a lens issue). The D5100 and D7000 already have greater pixel density than the D800, making them diffraction limited by f8. the D600 is not diffraction limited until over about f13, which is about as far as I would go anyway. In comparison, the D3200 is dffraction limited at f5.6, not good for landscape work. Hopefully they will not use that sensor in the next top of the line Dx models. Something to consider if you are waiting.

The 24-85vr is an adequate walk around lens. It is sharp and compact, great for general purpose. I do not feel it captures the full potential of the D600's sensor. My next lens will be the 16-35 and with a few good primes I think i will see the full potential of the D600. I spent a week capturing foliage shots and the 24-85 did a good job as a budget introductory Fx lens (see my fall foliage thread for examples).

I've got a lot to learn and I'm truely amazed with the results so far!

Last edited:

aZuMi

Really good review coming from a different type of photographer! Once you get more primes, you will also love the bokeh it produces!

Sambr

Excellent review Rick - you are going to love the 16-35 when you get it. Look for ASI glass they work great with FX mind you it would be manual focus. I bought a 135 2.8 AIS Nikon for $70.00 it's razor sharp & compact.

PapaST

Thanks for the write up. Along with the technical information I'm also interested in your setup for hikes. I do some hiking and I'm always curious to see how others get their gear out into the backcountry.

I think I'll be buying one soon. Looks like their demand isn't extremely high for the D600 thus far.

Rick M

PapaST- I use a Thinktank Belt system with their holster bag (which can be used as a shoulder case if you wish). This keeps me hands free for hiking and climbing in and out of streams, ect. Backpacks, sling/shoulder bags make you top heavy and can slide off (you can also fall on them). I also use tamrac lens cases on my belt (like them better than thinktanks). This allows me to change lenses easy and without putting anything on the ground. The holster bag also expands for longer lenses.

Rick M

I've also noticed in post processing that I hardy ever use any noise reduction now. I had to use it a lot more in the past, especially with HDR shots.

M

macjim

Yes, nice review indeed. To add to your comments: I have the Nikon 50 mm f1.4 G prime lens and the kit zoom lens, but I'm using the 50 mm lens as my 'prime' lens. I've set the camera to aperture priority as that's the way I work with my X-Pro1 but, out of the box, I hit a few snags. It will save any new user to check the camera settings thoroughly before venturing out to use in anger: I found out the hard way! ISO is set to ISO 100 as default and the minimum shutter speed is not set too so some of my first photographs were most definitely not sharp! When checking the metadata it showed me why... ISO 100 and an a shutter speed as low as 1/50th at f5.6! No wonder they were out of focus hand held! So I've now set it to a minimum of 1/125th as the minimum speed so that the camera will move the ISO up. Oh, this is with the 50 mm which doesn't have VR so a VR lens shouldn't have this problem. The size and weight is impressive for a FF camera, and is roughly about the size of my old D90. What I hope is it proves much more reliable that the D90 as it proved to be a duffer for me. It had an intermittent shutter problem where it refused to fire, and, as you'd expect, it didn't show up when in for repair! My other previous experience with Nikon was with the D50 — that was a nice camera but it too suffered from a known fault later on when the built-in flash stopped working, so here's hoping the D600 proves a better machine (nearly defected to Canon!) I've bought the ThinkTank camera strap V2.0 with blue trim to use with the D600. I didn't want to walk around with a 'mug me' nikon strap as I did with the D50/90's. once I get used to the camera, I hope to add my own thoughts to the forum but that will be a while yet as I'm swapping around between my X-Pro 1 and this camera.

TedG954

The difference between the Beast (D700) and my D5100 is getting to be like a brick being compared to a ping-pong ball. But, every extra ounce is worth it. I'm using the D700 in a tripod roll and the D5100 as my walk-around hand-held camera. I'll bet the D600 is a real prize. Enjoy!

jcottone45

Great reviews Rick, I also am looking at the d600 as my next investment, you really did your homework & this is one guy who's glad you did.

Rick M

Great reviews Rick, I also am looking at the d600 as my next investment, you really did your homework & this is one guy who's glad you did.

Thanks Joe. This was a huge step for me and I'm sure I'll be with this for a very long time.

I kept second guessing my Dx position as I sunk more money into lenses. I now have more of a sense that each lens I buy will be a permanent investment. It was also nice to end the mental haggling I was going through (I'm sure many have gone through this :)). The more I reseached the pixel density issue, the more I realized Fx was better for my style, generally shooting between f8-f13 for landscapes/waterfalls, ect. With the mega-pixel race, I'm convinced the next top Dx will be greater than 16mp and Sensor diffraction will become a problem for unsuspecting enthusists/pros buying a high end Dx.

Rick M

Picked up a 50mm 1.8G today to get a better idea of what this sensor can do. Below is a shot at f1.8, no sharpening or PP at all, second is a 100% crop, again no PP.
This is a fantastic combination!

DSC_0506_3900.JPG

At 100%

leaf 100%.JPG

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I really need to catch up on all of the 365 and picture threads as I haven't looked at any of them in about a month or so. I have a feeling I am missing some good stuff. :)

I'm glad the D600 is living up to the Nikon name and I can't wait until Christmas when you get some pro level lenses Rick. :)

Rick M

I really need to catch up on all of the 365 and picture threads as I haven't looked at any of them in about a month or so. I have a feeling I am missing some good stuff. :)

I'm glad the D600 is living up to the Nikon name and I can't wait until Christmas when you get some pro level lenses Rick. :)

I think I'm gonna have to wait for tax returns for the 16-35, I've over spent my allowance this year:).

aZuMi

Azumi, How do you like the 28 1.8? I wish Nikon would come out with a new 18 or 20mm prime!

cynram, I really like the 28mm 1.8. It's wide enough for my needs and it's tack sharp with great colours. Another great thing is the focusing distance is much closer than the 50mm.

For the superwide, I actually think the 14-24mm 2.8 is worth it. 14, 16 and 18mm D primes are nice - but I think 14-24mm is definitely worth it for the IQ and colours you're getting.

WhiteLight

Hi Rick! Congratulations on the D600!
I was wondering where you were since your activity graphy fell very low on the 5100 threads ;)
Amazing review, makes me want it.. :)