D300s random freeze

oksen

Or a long time now my camera suddenly goes dead and stays like that for long time - sometimes days. The viewfinder goes dark and the lcd readout just freeze. Taking out batteries for while sometimes helps, but before or later it does it again. No obvious relation to particular modes, lenses or whatever. Anyone ever heard of this issue?
Thanks, Peter

fotojack

How old is the camera? How many actuations? Have you ever dropped it? Are the batteries fully charged? Have you tried resetting it to factory settings? Probably a hundred different reasons why it's acting up like that. Hard to tell really. Is taking it to a Nikon dealer an option?

oksen

Thanks. About two years or so, not veryvheavy use, no drops, battery status not related. It just seems to stop at random. Will try a factroy reset. I live in Laos and a local shop have been trying to get a new board for while, but I suppose i'll have to send it off to Thailand or something.

jcottone45

I can't say that my d300s had anything like that happen, though once I did have a black out of sorts but I shut it down waited a few minutes & it's worked just fine ever since.
I would definitely have that checked out.!!

oksen

Sounds a bit like the same, although mine does it often. For several months it was fine but the suddenly it started again to my big disappointment. Tried it again yesterday and it did the same trick. After a few hours it was up gain.
One more thing I noticed recently when I was shooting with someone with same camera, was that my continuous shooting mode seemed much slower than his - even with everything on manual including focus. Any ideas?
Am thinking of trying the Nikon service centre in Singapore. Anyone having good experience with them?
Thanks,
Peter