Undecided about flash purchase

Dooku77

Hello all. Here is my dilemma. I have the money for a 70-300 lens. I do not own a flash. My question is, for those of you that were once in this situation what did you do? I'm not a portrait guy so lighting wouldn't be an issue for me at the moment. When I had canon gear I had a flash but I rarely used it. Do you think it's wise to have one in my kit or do I hold off? Or I could buy a 50mm lens and used flash instead :)
Willie C

TedG954

I bought a flash and it's still like brand new. To do it all over again, a flash would be the very last thing on my list of wants.... right after.... a fish-eye lens, which I would never buy.

Dooku77

I bought a flash and it's still like brand new. To do it all over again, a flash would be the very last thing on my list of wants.... right after.... a fish-eye lens, which I would never buy.

Lol that's exactly how I feel. If I know how to dial in my camera for low light why would I need a flash if I'm not doing portraits. Most of the things I shoot are sport events and nature. As far as the fish eye, my friend rented knew and let me use it. Very fun, but would never buy one.

Willie C

Rick M

I rarely use flash. I bought a SB400 and it's enough for me. The only thing I would need a strong flash for would be events which I do little of. The SB400 gives you the ability to bounce off the ceiling and is a little more powerful than the onboard flash.

TedG954

I rarely use flash. I bought a SB400 and it's enough for me. The only thing I would need a strong flash for would be events which I do little of. The SB400 gives you the ability to bounce off the ceiling and is a little more powerful than the onboard flash.

That's what I have and I consider it more than enough. Small enough to carry in the bag just in case, though I have never had a case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dooku77

I have that exact flash in my wish list on Amazon. I was just going to get one of those just to have instead of the 600 or 700. Thanks for your input

Willie C

silverthornne

I always consider a lens in a range or kind that I lack to be a better investment most of the time. Anyway, third party flashes can be good options. I bought a Yongnuo YN468 II for less than the retail price of an SB-400 and it is an excellent flash compatible with Nikon TTL, can be triggered wirelessly and has a rotating flash head. It's a good way to grab a good flash without breaking the bank...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

stmv

a flash is a basic component for a kit, consider an extension cable, that is useful for macro shots. I recommend the one model up for swivel control, since you have on camera flash, investing into an external flash should extend you more then just more reach.

lens versus flash,, well, if your kit and shooting needs desparately needs more lens variety, then lens, but eventually, a decent flash setup is valuable.

Sambr

Hello all. Here is my dilemma. I have the money for a 70-300 lens. I do not own a flash. My question is, for those of you that were once in this situation what did you do? I'm not a portrait guy so lighting wouldn't be an issue for me at the moment. When I had canon gear I had a flash but I rarely used it. Do you think it's wise to have one in my kit or do I hold off? Or I could buy a 50mm lens and used flash instead :)
Willie C

You kinda answerd your own question, re: your Canon days. I would get the glass - the flash can come later. Your on board flash with the D700 should get you by until you get a flash.