Photography courses

ding

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... but...

I was wondering what peoples views were on photography courses, both actual going to school courses and doing it at home online courses... free or paid? Are they worth doing? Has anyone done any courses? What did you enjoy about it and take from it? What did you think was a waste of time?
I know that hands on experience is the best teacher - but is there anyone that had a set way of doing something and then did a course and so was forced to change what they were shooting or how they were shooting in order to do a course project? How did you benefit from that change - if at all? Did you stick to the change or did you go back to your comfort zone? Has anyone taken part in one of those 'walk around' classes with a teacher for a day? I see a few of those advertised...

Obviously you don't have to answer all of those questions lol. They're just a few i've considered when thinking about photography courses

fotojack

Back in 1976 I took night classes in photography. Those were the film days. :) The course lasted 6 months and covered practically everything I thought I needed to know. Fast forward to the future...5 years ago...got my first digital camera and had to learn a whole new set of ways to do things. Having said that, I'm still learning. Learn online, learn in a school environment, free or paid....just learn! It all pays off in the end.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Digital Photography 1 on 1: Episode 1 - YouTube

Not really a on line course, but have learned quite a bit from Adorama TV. They are into over 200 episodes now.

It can be kind of hard to follow on You Tube, you have to do a lot of searching for episodes, and I don't think it's Adorama is doing it anymore looking at the comments in episode one snapfactory.com looks like it may have taken it over a while back.

If you got a weekend to kill give it a try.

pedroj

Aperture priority and the manual can help, plus you tube...Something you want to know Google it or ask on here..

stmv

yes,, but also a walk around sessions with a mentor/teacher goes a long way also. Mine was my father years and years ago.

I take part in a photo sessions,, with a focus topic, and then during the day circulate around among the photographers helping with their efforts.

Having a real person to bounce off ideas, and get real time tips during the actual shot can be priceless.

So, I agree, online material and printed material is awesome, along with forums such as this, but try also
to mix it up with some actual lessons.

Mike150

Start at your local Community College. After taking my first class there, I discovered that the teacher was a local Professional, and she also taught more focused one and two day classes outside the college as well as One on One classes. Also, I'm just getting into the online stuff at www.lynda.com Too soon to tell if it's any good. Membership is $25 a month for unlimited courses (mostly software classes). All courses are divided into short 3 or 4 minute videos. If you want the sample files to use for practice, the price is more. I guess it's a case of how long you can sit in front of the monitor watching videos.