The last set of Tank quality lens - 105 2.0 DC

stmv

I had a credit available, and so decided to cash it toward a Nikkor 105 2.0 DC lens,

this lens belongs to what I call the legacy lens series. the crinkle metal, the built like a tank lens, that have awesome optics.

the lens is still available, but probably a matter of time, before these type of legacy lens start to fade away.

I wanted a lens that could match the D800 resolving quality, and the DC feature just sounds enticing. I have heard the lens has a bit of a learning curve. This will be the first DC (most likley only) lens in my kit.

So,, does any Nikonites use this lens?

stmv

the DC is cool because it allows the lens to be designed for sharpness, and then the dof controlled to mimic a really shallow dof that one would get with a 1.4 or 1.2, without sacrificing center sharpness.

Rumours says it renders light really nicely, with an amazing look. Time will tell if I can get similar results, but I so look forward to it. This is exactly the fun that I love in a lens,

I am not sure if readers find this type of post interesting but yes, I am bit of a lens addict.

stmv

The wait begins,, 105 has been shipped, should have it before the weekend, so interested in a session with it,, I picture the vivid fall tree, with the fade out using the Deselective Controls. I figure its cheaper then renting, try it out for a few months, worse case, sell it,, for the delta between the rental and the cost.

I like now how the software on e commerce is trying to out game the buyer. I must have put the 105 into my cart like 3 times in the last month.

then the software notices,, that I am almost serious, but keeps backing down,, next thing, a special offer comes, why 150 dollars off! sweet,, buy.

So,, I got the 105 for 1025 dollars,,, not bad. so,, sometimes its good to hesitate and see what offers pops into your mail folder. They call this targeted selling.​

stmv

yay!! the lens arrived, does not let one down, super finish. The lens has almost perfect balance on the D700/D800,, would be a bit large on the D7000.

Very sharp image on the D800, nice bokeh, I'll have to play with the defocus control, I think the effect is sublte, time will tell.

stmv

the defocus control is so easy, trivial even, takes about 1 minute to learn. leave it in neutral if not wanted,

otherwise set it to the same aperture that the camera is at,, and you get the defocus effect with the bokeh,, and if you go beyond the aperture you get a total image soft focus. fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

stmv

The 105 performed very well. had to be super careful with the D800 to get maximum sharpness, but when you get it rights, its a wow.

I get a kick that when you read the manual, the compatible cameras listed are the F3, F4,, FA, so, really really old lens, digital was a still way in the future, funny, how they don't even update the directions after close to 20 years.​

JerryPH

I decided to skip over the 105, but may look for it later. Where did you pick yours up from?

i instead went for it's bigger brother, the 135 mm F/2dc, and it is pretty much the most incredible lens in my kit.

The defocus control is basically a toy. You'll try it a few times, get tired of it quick and leave the lens DC controls set to zero because it gives everything this kinda soft and ethereal feel, and just totally enjoy the lens' other attributes. It is an incredibly sharp lens, proof that Nikon got his one right way back in the 1970's.

JerryPH

I decided to skip over the 105, but may look for it later. Where did you pick yours from?

I instead went for it's bigger brother, the 135 mm F/2dc, and it is pretty much the most incredible lens in my kit.

The defocus control is basically a toy. You'll try it a few times, get tired of it quick and leave the lens DC controls set to zero because it gives everything this kinda soft and ethereal feel that is straight from the 70's, and just totally enjoy the lens' other attributes.

It is an incredibly sharp lens, proof that Nikon got his one right way back in the 1970's and there is nothing like it even today, you will enjoy this lens a lot!

Last edited:

Ranie

I have the lens too and its a real keeper.
Im still looking around for its older brother (135 F2 DC)

8464678086_aaaab633a4_b.jpg

Sample pic here: D90, 105 F2 DC @ F2, 1/800

Ranie

It is an incredibly sharp lens, proof that Nikon got his one right way back in the 1970's and there is nothing like it even today, you will enjoy this lens a lot!

Only Nikon has this kind of lens. Not even Canon or other third party lens has.

snaphappy

Funny I was just looking at one for sale locally at $700 and was thinking and dreaming but not sure I'd be able to put to good use with my skills yet. I sure is tempting though because it looks like a lovely lens :cool: