A Nikon owners forum blocked?

Knave

OK, first let me state that as a new person learning about DSLRs, I attempt to garner as much information as possible from the people who own Nikons and their successes as well as failures. With this in mind I have frequented various forums of photography and Nikons in particular. I don't suggest any forum over another, but this forum is the only one I have joined to date.

That being said, without trying to incur the wrath of you folks or any moderators, I would like to give you guys a heads up concerning one forum (Nikonians.org) that I have frequented several times prior to tonight with no issues, only to have that site blocked tonight by Google as being identified as an attack site. Part of warning reads as follows....
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 7 time(s) over the past 90 days.

Of the 78 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 47 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-10-01, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-10-01.
Malicious software includes 3 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.
Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including applied3dtechnologies.net, letterperfecttell.org, http://safebrowsing.clients.google....efox&hl=en-US&site=applied3dtechnologies.org/applied3dtechnologies.org.
2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including nikona.org, lamanana.huhttp://safebrowsing.clients.google....tic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=lamanana.hu/.
This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS8426 (CLARANET)http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=AS:8426, AS15169 (Google Internet Backbone).

Again, I don't wish to provoke anybody here, I only wish to advise as to the possibility of risk to anybody that may visit Nikonians...at least until they clean their site up. As always, a strong antivirus suite is critical to computer users and should be utilized on a continuous basis. McAfee and Norton are two good pay suites and AVG is a very good free suite.

Photowyzard

Thanks for the heads up. Excellent piece of information.

I never frequent NIKONIANS! Just looking at it hurts my eyes and their fees are simply over the top.

Their galleries have some of the worst images I have seen anywhere and to pay for the privilege, not thanks. I frequent two forums and find there is a great level of expertise on both and the crowd is a little more grounded and friendly. Not to mention, by and large I find the images posted here (on the two sites) better than most pay sites.

If you wish to see some high end images posted from photographers all over the world, go to

500px — World's Best Photos

It is free to join and you don't have to do even that to view images. You do have to join if you wish to post. It has some flaws, but for the most part, an excellent site strictly for viewing, not for forum commentary. It is also not brand specific.

Knave

I just bookmarked 500px, thx for the referral. Only issue with that site is as I'm viewing it I keep going "ohhh" and breathing hard.....the wife thinks I'm viewing a naughty site.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Capture.JPG

Funny you should bring this up. This is a screen shot from OUR site.

Last night I wanted to reference a past Weekly Challenge. I used a bookmark I have and this came up.

I am using McAfee and Google.

Knave

hmmmm, different warning page then I received for Nikonians....I use Firefox as my browser and google for searching. Haven't seen any warnings for Nikonites, but with both sites being pasted as compromised I'm gonna go ahead and do a scan anyway. With a 1.5TB hard drive I don't look forward to it though.....

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
View attachment 17876

Funny you should bring this up. This is a screen shot from OUR site.

Last night I wanted to reference a past Weekly Challenge. I used a bookmark I have and this came up.

I am using McAfee and Google.

Looks like nikonians was flagged because someone uploaded malware to it. We got flagged on a specific page because someone linked to images from nikonians. What page did you get that warning for rick?

sent from my phone

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Fixed, it was because this pic from Glenn was hosted on nikonians:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/19693/service.jpg

That is strange. I noticed this last night when I used my firefox browser. It is being addressed on the nikonians.org community. Any browser that is supported by google as their default search engine blocks it. It won't block it if you change it to Bing, Yahoo or any other search engines.

In defense of Nikonians.org which I am a paying member since 2009, I have learn a lot from their moderators and members which in itself worth the $25 that I paid annually.

One of the best part that I like about it is that a good portion of my camera equipment were purchased from their for sale section. Sellers often reduce their already bargain lenses if they don't sell within a week. The savings that I get is already worth more than the annual fee that I paid for and the members are trustworthy instead of gambling with Ebay sellers.

Knave

I need to stress that the original reason for my post was not to deter anyone from visiting Nikonians because I thought one site was better or worse then another. I was informing others that the site had been compromised and should be known to those who may visit.

An ounce of prevention......

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm pretty sure this happened because someone uploaded an infected file to Nikonians and Google flagged it. Unfortunately that can happen to anyone. Google will alert webmasters via webmaster tools if you've been flagged because of malware.

Just to be clear, it wasn't specifically Glenn's picture - it was just that the picture was hosted on images.nikonians.org and Google flagged the sub-domain. This isn't Nikonians fault.