So I bought an 85mm f/2 AI S Nikkor And....

SamSpade1941

It came attached to this... A Nikon FA with a MD15 Technodrive attached to it. After checking everything out it all appears to work out. I actually was buying the Nikkor 85mm Nikkor AI S lens and not the camera in case you are wondering, a lot of times in the past when I have bought lenses people ended up giving me camera bodies or vice versa. In this case I am not willing to say what I paid but I assure you I did not even pay what the lens is worth on eBay. The 85mm is one of my favorite lenses and is an awesome portrait lens Its going to get a lot of use on my D40 and N70, I may or may not use the FA , I have not really made my mind up on that yet though it works well enough from what I can see.

For those who have not googled or do not know already the FA was where matrix metering was actually introduced, IIRC it was advertised as Nikon's most advanced manual focus 35mm camera.

Anyway I just thought I would share this with everyone. There are deals to be had if you are interested in older gear.

Nikon FA.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

Nice catch, enjoy that new lens. Back in my film days my 85 mm was my favorite lens, now that I've got a full frame maybe I need it on my shopping (wish) list.

stmv

yes, getting harder and harder to get real deal on lens, people/dealers know the price that most lens close at, so,,, sometimes the best way to snag a nice lens is to buy an older camera that comes with a lens or two.

The FA is a nice target because it was a fairly high end camera and purchased in fairly low numbers by serious shooters that often purchased nice glass. I have an FA, and really enjoyed shooting with the camera, my second favorite after the F3.

enjoy the 85. nice lens.

SamSpade1941

I wouldnt be surprised if that 85/2 Ais is as brilliant as the 105/2.5 Ais that i own. Lovely lens

THe 85 is known to be a very very sharp and brilliant lens, its has an excellent reputation as candid portrait lens. It was always one of my favorites when I shot film on a regular basis. The fact that it was an f/2 made it an easy decision for me, I would love to own an f/1.8 model those are somewhat exotic though.