Adam/Janie Engagement

Will V|Photography

These are some friends of friends that hired me to do their engagement shoot. Their schedule is ridiculous and setting up a time to shoot that works well for both of us is tough, add to that the fact that they wanted the "budget" package and this was already starting off on a bad foot. I did get a small session in the other day but light was terrible for the most part and some of the images came out soft. I'm not making any excuses but I wouldn't have uploaded any of these if they didn't love them. I guess I did my job as long as they're happy but I'm less than pleased with the set. I told them we can chalk this one up to a practice run and I have a secondary shoot with them scheduled for tomorrow so things should come out much better this time.

Adam&Janie (1) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (2) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (3) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (4) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (5) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (6) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (7) by FLWill, on Flickr

Adam&Janie (8) by FLWill, on Flickr

Eye-level

Banned
They're good Will...damn do you think you are Steiglitz the pro wedding photographer or what? In fact I think they are pretty good really.

fotojack

Will...I can understand being critical of your own work, but come on! Isn't the whole point of this shoot to make THEM happy? According to you....THEY'RE HAPPY! :) I personally think they're pretty good shots...all of them. So let it go, bud! The clients liked the shots. Be happy FOR them! :)

Will V|Photography

Thanks for the kind words. I am definitely my biggest critic and I usually throw away most of what other people would keep. You're right in that it's about them though, and I'm glad they're happy. I just wish they were ECSTATIC. :D Oh well, you get what you pay for I suppose and I gave them a damn good deal (again, not a portrait photographer)...

Thanks again guys

Sambr

I think you need to practice some more, especially if you are going to charge them. I don't want to come off sounding harsh, only because I agree with you.

Photo 1 - cute shot however get rid of the boot it looks out of place & odd.
2 & 3 need cropping a fast prime 1.8 or 1.4 would of really helped the DOF.
10 - they look like they are strangers waiting at a bus stop get them to be more in involved with each other. Plus the shot is out of focus a good cropping to get rid of the distracting "oof flowers in the front".
No.11 you are not doing her any favors with this photo - her posture is horrible. Have her change position.

Hats off to you for taking the plunge, you will get better with more experince. Keep being critically of your work strive for perfection - folks that sugar coat your errors or are afraid to hurt your feelings are not looking after your best interest. Remember there will times where you wouldn't get a second chance to re shoot.

Rick M

I like some of the shots and I think Sam has some great points. I like the less conventional shots/poses you took, as those types of shots seperate you from the average guy with a camera. Keep working on the technical stuff as Sam pointed out and I think you'll have results that even a harsh critic like you will like.

Will V|Photography

Thanks for the input. I think this just solidifies my position on not doing portraits. It has a lot to do with me, I just can't interact with people in the way good portrait photographers can. That's why I usually turn down work like this, which sucks because this is usually the only type of work opportunities that come my way. I talked to them tonight and they weren't too happy that I only had 4 shots from the last session but it's not my fault they show up late and the lack of light makes things even harder on me. Yet another reason I turn down work like this...

Thanks again for the input.

Rick M

It is unfortunate that people shots is where the fast money is in photography. I almost said "easy" money, but it is not easy, it is the area of greatest demand I guess. If I sold 1 print off my website for every time someone asked me if I did weddings, I'd be very happy!

valdano

You know, I think you'll make a great pro photographer... I followed the link to your flickr page and checked the EXIF data and if these are the kind of images you're pulling out with an 'entry level' d3100 and 55-200 lens then I can just imagine when you get your D4 and 70-200.. Great Work bro!

there are many good shots ..but if you dont like it /it dont look right dont take it ....
and whats all this BRA in the photos???..Under the arm pitts etc ......NO NO
Get a standard location and take your regular known good shots and then add as you get the inspiration....

If you take money you must be insured or you could end up in big $$$$ law suits