Zoom Lenses

Tami Jo

I am looking to add a longer zoom lens to my collection in the near future. I am looking to spend under 500.00 and I have been looking at these lenses currently. Other Suggestions welcomed.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens (approx 399.00)
Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 OS DG Macro (approx 300.00)
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (approx 459.00)

I am kind of leaning towards Nikon but the others seem fairly competitive as well. Anyone have any of these lenses?

KWJams

I have the Nikkor 55-300 and love it. Solid well built and behaves well.

Can't compare it to the others but I am happy even with the extra money that it cost.

Scott Murray

Tami I only have my 80-400mm VR and love it, but one thing which would be great to change is its auto focus system. If you can get a fast AF go for it, it frustrates the hell out of me but seeing as I am patient it works well. Honestly out of those depending on sharpness I would look at the Sigma macro as it allows long distance and macro which the others dont, but it may lack at 300mm and long distance focus. Honestly it all depends on what you would like from your lens :)

TedG954

I'd stick with Nikon if possible. The 55-300 should fit almost every need you'll have, unless you're a professional sports photog. If the 300 can't reach, get closer. :peaceful:

Dooku77

Tami I've read nothing but outstanding reviews on the Tamron 70-300 with VC. That is the one I am getting when I get some cash together.

Willie C

Tami Jo

I will be using this lens or intend to use this lens for shooting wildlife mostly. I think these lenses are fairly comparable and price is really close. I do have the Tamron 55-200 lens and I do like that lens however it does not have the VC which I wished it did. I have to say my hands are not as steady as I had originally thought. But you do learn as you go and I definitely want this lens to have that vibration reduction feature, especially at that extended focal length. I rarely use a tripod as they are not always convenient to lug around. I may have to consider adding a monopod to my collection soon to ensure less blur on some shots with that lens...Thankfully all three of these have it. Has anyone found that the Nikon lenses with the IF feature function better than the cheaper non IF lenses? Does that even factor in?

stmv

I have the 55-300, which sometimes goes on sale if you can look around and wait. I have been surprised how well the lens has behaved for the cost ratio.

Issue is the focus speed, I compare it to my 80-200 2.8, and it is really really slow, but usually, finds its way.

What I really like is the weight, I have a lens pouch for this lens for my belt, and it is so light, that I barely notice that it is there, then I just drop my other lens into the pouch when switching to the telephoto. The VR helps this lens quite a bit. I have taken a fair number of hand helds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tami Jo

I have the 55-300, which sometimes goes on sale if you can look around and wait. I have been surprised how well the lens has behaved for the cost ratio.

Issue is the focus speed, I compare it to my 80-200 2.8, and it is really really slow, but usually, finds its way.

What I really like is the weight, I have a lens pouch for this lens for my belt, and it is so light, that I barely notice that it is there, then I just drop my other lens into the pouch when switching to the telephoto. The VR helps this lens quite a bit. I have taken a fair number of hand helds.

Well perhaps It would be advantageous for me to wait then until the Holiday Season arrives when we may see many of these lenses go on sale, or perhaps have rebates available. I am not in a hurry so perhaps I will watch and wait.

Tami Jo

Have you bought the lens yet?

Willie C

No I am trying to hold out until the holiday season arrives and the sales start. Either that or perhaps Nikon will offer a rebate around that time too or even Tamron? Both are so close in price and quality so from what I've heard. Just waiting now patiently...or maybe not so patiently. Once those ideas get in your mind it's hard to shake them :)

Sambr

A good used Nikon 70-300VR sell for around 400-450 they are Nikon's best kept secret. However only the one with VR Nikon made 2 kinds. I use this lens for wildlife when I want to go "light" it a killer on a D7000.

I have the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Zoom Lens, that I purchased new on Nov/23/2011 for $249.00 with free shipping. While it was on sale for Christmas at Amazon. This lens is normally listed at $399.00 with 21.00 shipping and handling. I use it everyday as my main walk around lens because its perfect and fairly light. Plus it has a metal mount and feels a lot more secure than a friends 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Lens lens that I once borrowed.

Bukitimah

A good used Nikon 70-300VR sell for around 400-450 they are Nikon's best kept secret. However only the one with VR Nikon made 2 kinds. I use this lens for wildlife when I want to go "light" it a killer on a D7000.

Yes, the 70-300 VR is a great lens. I was told the 70-200 VR is better but it is more than twice the cost. For the $, you cannot complain. I find it sharp if the subject is not too far. Under low light AF may be difficult.

slowpoke

I have the Sigma 70-300.It's an ok lens,but I don't use it much now that I have to practice with the 50-500mm
(Big Ma).The 50-300 sounds REALLY good.You got a hard choice here,good luck. Joe

cbg

I'd recommend the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR. There have been complaints that it is a little soft at 300mm, but I have not seen that with my copy. You should be able to it used for under $500. I got my off of craigs list for $450 and have seen them in that range on e-bay.

Colin

Tami Jo

I have the Sigma 70-300.It's an ok lens,but I don't use it much now that I have to practice with the 50-500mm
(Big Ma).The 50-300 sounds REALLY good.You got a hard choice here,good luck. Joe

What made you decide to purchase the 50-300 since you alteady haf the sigma 70-300?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

slowpoke

What made you decide to purchase the 50-300 since you alteady haf the sigma 70-300?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Hi,Tami.I got the 50-500mm for reaching out on the long bird shots.The 70-300mm just doesn't have the reach,I'm too old to sneak
any more.lol