D3100 Youngnuo flash suggestions

Xvector

Hello Folks - I am a newer photgrapher.
I am using a D3100 and am at a point where I know i need additional lighting. I do alot of shooting at indoor gatherings and corporate events where lighting is generally dim.

i have found some good prices at youngnuo and am fine with non Nikon brands for now to get the handle of it before i invest in expensive Nikon gear.

But i am new to flash. From what I have gathered i need to narrow it down to Manual VS TTL lighting. I have done some reading but am still not clear on what the difference is. But what i am getting is TTL is a newer technology which i guess is a good thing.

As for lens i am still working off my kit 18-55 f3.5-5.6.

the products that I am thinking of getting is a flash light and a remote flash trigger. Reason being in indoor situations i want to be able to set the flash on a table or something on the side of a target as i take the shot from the front.

any advise or suggestions would be really great - thanks folks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Google can be your friend as far as portable flash use. Stobist have quite a few youtube tutorials where you could learn the basics.

There is a lot of knowledge out there, but you'll need hands on to digest it all.

Berkerk

A manual flash will, as the name suggests, require you input the settings on the flash yourself. TTL uses metering from the camera to set the flash (hence the acronym Through The Lens), it's the simpler of the two and you can also override with manual settings if desired.

If you're planning to use the flash off camera and go with TTL, then you'll need a trigger capable of transmitting the information from the camera to the flash; Yougnuo produce both and at reasonable price/quality.