Must decide on wide angle today: Tokina v. Sigma

warriormom

the lens will be used primarily for real estate/pano. i have rented the tokina 11-16 which is a great lens imo, but i don't know any better so i need to ask y'all. the sigma 10-20 is considerably cheaper. is it safe to assume based on that that it is not as good a lens as the tokina? what are your experiences and opinions? there is also the tamron 10-24 which i gets good reviews too....

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Ken Rockwell reviewed that lens on his site and gave it high marks... I believe the Tokina is faster than the other lenses you mentioned... All things being equal, speed wins...

PS. I'm biased and have several Tokina lenses.. including the 11-16 F2.8

warriormom

what do you use it for primarily? i had never even used one until i rented the 11-16. i am certain i would have some fun with it, outside of real estate shoots, but i am wondering if that extra 1mm of wideness is better than the extra reach for the purposes of shooting indoor pano? there is $110 price difference in the two on amazon, with the 12-24 being less expensive. tempting....

Fred Kingston

Good girl... I use it for exterior shots, and interior shots... I had a client that owned a Photo Shop for 30 years... and when I handled both the Tokina nd the Sigma... the Sigma had a light plasticy feel.. The Tokina has a nice solid feel...