What do you think of this picture?

silvercreek

I really like this picture but I didn't take it. Does it look like a photograph or a painting? Your opinions please.

aa.jpg

From http://2012photocontest.anseladams.com/ by David Sauro

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
It's a beautiful image, great composition, early morning sunlight, I have no critique to tell you, I'd say you'd rate a 12 out of 12 on the composition, light and exposure. However, I'm not a fan of the graininess, it detracts from the image IMO. Perhaps it's stands out more due to the small size of the up-loaded image and maybe on the full image the grain works?
So my grade is 11/12 overall, 12/12 on the image and -1 on the presentation, but a very small -1. I don't say this often but I'd say this image is more than worthy of being printed and hung. It's one of those rare images that you can work on for years as your PP skills improve and your tastes change. I do hope you shot this in RAW format....

Scott Murray

Painting - I can do painting effects in PS that look similar but this looks more like a painting to me, when do we get the answer?
I could do a painting similar in oils and canvas, but I wouldn't be finished for 6 months :) Looks like a HDR painting conversion or a photo painting cross as there are paint like and photo like attributes. But all in all it is something I would hang on my wall.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing I wonder about, you say you didn't take this picture. If not, who did? Did you ask their permission to post it here?
It might not be my business, but I, for one, would not like someone to post my picture on another forum without my permission.

What's your thought on that?

Eye-level

Banned
This snap is nearly identical to one in Volume 3 of Petersen's Digital Photography Guide...the magazine. The angle is the only thing that is different. Location and subject are the same. The shot in the mag was done by Jim Zuckerman and is all rights reserved.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
silvercreek, please post the source of an image, or photographer's name in the future. I posted the link for you. I realize the photographer wasn't listed in this case.

Edit: found the photographer's name - David Sauro

silvercreek

I was a bit surprised I was able to copy the picture myself. It is a photograph rather than a painting. I'm just so envious of this guy and often wondered how one reaches such notoriety. I guess if one does something for their entire life they would eventually get it right huh? David Sauro did a heck of a job on this one.

Last edited: