New to photography! New guy question!

EuroTrashin33

Hi there everyone! So, I just started playing around with this camera I got a garage sale. It's the D3000, obviously! I did a photo shoot with some friends on their cars not too long ago and I need help with taking rolling shots. I usually see people take good rolling shots of vehicles and mine just turned out still, like there was no blur in the background. I asked a lot of people and basically just got all Canon users, so no help really. Can anyone give me ideas on the correct way to do a rolling shot, when it comes to what mode to use, shutter speed, things like that! Thank you so much! Sorry, noob question. Hopefully the pic is larger! roller.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My first advice is to "Learn how to use the camera".
If you don't know how to adjust the shutter speed, aperture and how these two are related, don't expect to get anywhere. Photography can be learned only if you put the time into it.

Asking what you're asking is like me asking a great quart back how can I throw the ball as far as you on a forum...

Now, to answer your question, you have to try different shutter speeds depending on the speed the car is going and then decide what works. I'm sorry but there is not a universal answer to your question.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Nikon!

CosmicHerb

I read Jeff Revell's excellent book on the D3100 and it gave some tips on panning shots. I tried it out here:

DSC_0831.JPG

It was shot at 1/30, f/14, ISO200, through my apartment window. I used Dynamic Area AF and tried to follow the movement of the car smoothly, focusing as it approached then firing off a burst for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:

Somersetscott

:rolleyes: Another victim to some harsh feedback, haha, but I do admire everyone's honesty..

The best way of learning for me is taking the same photo constantly playing with the settings - I have spent hours and hours reseaching but it tends to not sink in and stick unless I go out and put the theory to practice. :)

Scott Murray

Use your camera on shutter priority, practice panning and shooting cars, Slow the shutter speed until you are getting wheel blur etc, take multiple shots. But the main thing is practice, practice, practice...