Great Blue Heron with the D800

Billy Y.

Some Heron shots from the Oregon Coast.

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Well done, the GBH is one of my favourite birds. I have found that sometimes, you can't get within 50 feet of one.

Other times, I have been able to get so close I had to stand back to take a head shot of it. They are fascinating to watch while they hunt for fish.

Billy Y.

Well done, the GBH is one of my favourite birds. I have found that sometimes, you can't get within 50 feet of one.

Other times, I have been able to get so close I had to stand back to take a head shot of it. They are fascinating to watch while they hunt for fish.

Yes, They are one of my favorites also - along with the sandhill crane (which I have yet to get close enough to photograph - very shy birds) Around where I live Herons don't let you get close, often flying away at first site of me, but apparently on the coast in the tide pools they aren't too worried about people. It was fun to get one finally.

Photowyzard

Well good for you, Billy. They are well done. I just spent two sessions with a local GBH that is pretty much fearless! I shot about 500 images.

Probably take me a week to go through and pick out some of the best. I find it a huge thrill when one isn't shy, they are such a pleasure to watch. I only wish I could find one in some nicer circumstances that at a big park in my part of town. Kids, dogs and ignorant adults typically spoil most sessions.

I really like the coastal scenery, it is a change from my typical view of the local pond.

Scott Murray

Well good for you, Billy. They are well done. I just spent two sessions with a local GBH that is pretty much fearless! I shot about 500 images.

Probably take me a week to go through and pick out some of the best. I find it a huge thrill when one isn't shy, they are such a pleasure to watch. I only wish I could find one in some nicer circumstances that at a big park in my part of town. Kids, dogs and ignorant adults typically spoil most sessions.

I really like the coastal scenery, it is a change from my typical view of the local pond.
I never take my dogs to take photos of birds they just dont understand why I dont throw the ball and yet I yell at them for chasing the birds. Gee what can you do ;)

RRRoger

I have a 1/4 acre pond in my back yard. Yesterday my dog chased a large Blue Heron away. Never got a good picture of one because they are so shy. Last month I got a shot of a fleeting White Egret.

Attachments

• KAM_1309r.jpg
    KAM_1309r.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited: