A question about the use of software...

Nikonitus

I was just wondering how you feel about the use of photgraphy software to alter photos as some people don't really like to mention it. I thought I had better ask before opening my mouth. I think we know which particular program(s) I am referring to...

Tami Jo

Post processing is not taboo, just a continuation of the original vision to the completed product. I use Adobe Photoshop currently. It does what I need so I am happy with it. However I have heard great things about Lightroom as well.

Nikonitus

Cool cool, just that some hardcorists see digital alteration as a taboo. They don't recognize the fact that their newly taken photos are already digitally manipulated before they are even stored. The power of software and firmware.

Cheers...

Eye-level

Banned
I doubt you'll find many detractors around here. I'm lazy when it comes to software and post processing but it is sort of a necessary evil IMO. I use GIMP and Photomatix sometime in the near future I am getting Lightroom.

Nikonitus

Thanks guys. At least I know I can mention it in some posts. It's just that a few years ago, I put forward a photo into a small inhouse contest and somebody insisted it was "Photoshop'd", which it wasn't. The guy made it very clear that I don't even mention this kind of software on the forum. I sort of left that forum and to tell you the truth, until I recently bought the D600, I haven't been back into any of the few forums I used to belong to... That's why I was asking first on this forum...!!! At least here I am amongst my own kind as on that other forum, most of them had other brands of camera...

Rick M

Welcome Nikonitus! I use lightroom and photomatix. All digital photography involves software, I often think that those against any post processing either don't know how to use software or perhaps can't afford it. Raw files need PP just to get them back to what was seen. There are those that over cook things or add/remove things and I think that's where the purists have concerns. The main thing is you are the artist and it is your vision. You will find most people on here tolerant of that fact.

I just got a D600 also, awesome camera!

Disorderly

In my experience there are two kinds of photographers: those who use software like Photoshop to enhance the image as it came out of the camera; and those who see the camera's output as the starting point for a digital creation. There's probably a continuum between the two. But either way, there are likely very few serious photographers who just take the camera's output and stop there.

It's nothing new. I was surprised to discover just how much processing got done by photo labs in the days of film. Scanning some negatives, I saw a vast difference between my scans and the prints I got with the processed film. Color correction, red eye reduction; and that's without asking for any special treatment.

I'm told that Ansel Adams had detailed notes for how his negatives were to be printed. What he did in the darkroom, we do with software. I like our way better. (I live by the Undo function.)

stmv

hear hear on the Ansel Adams book, I have his photo instruction books he authored, and let me tell you he really goes into detail.

I used to hate the last days of printing in labs, the amount of assumtions that their printing software did to the pictures, so, I like way more today's world where you decide the amount of editing and in the end, the final outcome of the photo.

I do like how with the newer SLRs I spend less time sharpening, and reducing noise, and now spend time on contrast, local area adjustments (dodging/burning), so that I would say the amount of editing has been reduced.

That said, on slow cold days, very enjoyable to experiment and push the boundaries, that is how one learns. No loss, its DIGITAL! just pixels in memory.

AC016

Use whatever software your wallet can afford and go nuts! Personally, i can't be bothered and have no interest in learning a piece of software or sit in front of a computer for hours on end. Sitting in front of a computer for hours on end is done at work. Also, i have enough about learning different softwares/systems already. Yuck!! When i get home, i don't want to see any of it anymore. I only ask you to not overcook your pictures or make them look like cartoons! Other than that, knock yourself out/