Another new member...

Nikonitus

Hello all,

My name is Allan and I live in Auckland, New Zealand. Am 55yrs of age and although I've been taking photos since I was just a teenager, it got a little more serious after I bought a new D80 some 4 to 5 years ago. I only bought it because my brother laughed at my then small pocket camera and told me it was about time you updated... Actually, I first bought Fujifilm S6000 and boy what a lovely little unit (I still have it) but then a few months later I spied a D80 at the local camera shop and because a couple of magazines had rated it as the "Camera of the year", I bought it 2 days later. At first I found it just a little hard to get used to as it was so different from any previous camera but after a little help from my younger brother (who had a D70 and a D200 then), I soon began to really get interested and began to play around with it a little. That D80 really sparkled something in me and after about a year of owning that, the D300 came out and I just had to have one after reading so much about them. At the time we couldn't get any here while other parts of the world enjoyed them, but then one day they arrived and by accident and begging to the camera shop for the pre-ordered ones they got in, I managed to pursuade them to sell me one. I will always look at the D300 as the camera of the decade for me as it really gave, and still gives, such great results and is so forgiving. I am not going to sell it, ever... The D80 started something in me,, the D300 piled it on bigtime...

Just the other day I, again almost by accident, phoned the same camera shop, just to find out how much and when the D600 was going to be, when it gets here. I wasn't expecting them for at least a few months. Would you believe it, they got a couple in that morning..!! Oh boy, I hadn't felt that much excitement since the D300 purchase... I asked if they could hold one aside until Saturday. "Yeah, sure I can"... I went in 2 days later (Saturday) and picked it up along with a 24-120mm lens. Now that I have plenty of experience under the belt, I could set it up relatively easily but somehow I feel there is still a lot to learn about this full frame camera, yet I feel it will come naturally, as with the D300...

I make no bones about it,, I am NO expert with a digital camera and there's so much more to learn than I already know about them,, but I'm enthsiastic and although I probably couldn't help lots of you guys, I love to share the moment and will no doubt benefit from your experience with these cameras...

It makes sense to join up with this forum and I hope it's a going to be a good stay with you guys... Well, that's me... See you further down the forums soon...!!!

Tami Jo

Welcome Allan! It sounds like the photography bug has indeed bitten a time or two. It is a wonderful and adventurous journey. I look forward to seeing some of your images in the near future. Congrats on the newest Nikon addition you are sure to enjoy it as you have all the previous models.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum Allan,

You seem to have an open mind so I'm sure you're in for good times of sharing and learning with all of us.

Enjoy your Nikons!

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome Allen,
Hope you find this place as friendly and helpful as I did. I am on the Newbie end... look forward to learning from you also!

Pat in NH