Update on Nikon D800 Left Focus Issue

stmv

This issue has impacted volume quite a bit, amazing how much fear it spreads. I got one of the early batches, and at least for my test, have not managed to recreate the issue, (tripod, etc), so I suspect my camera is fine.

Kinda sad to see the camera tarnished so much. Compared to other launces, this camera has more 1 and 2 star rating than I suspect any other Nikon SLR.

Which is ironic, since IMO, its the best Nikon in the lineup.

course, lots of the negatives appear to be Canon trolls that often did not even buy the camera. I think Amazon should do a better job making sure that only people that actually buys a camera can post a review.

I mean, one guy claimed to had tested 5 cameras in a store,, really...!..? Can you imagine a store allowing some guy to unpack 5 D800 and test each one without buying. makes you wonder.

Dave_W

The Dude
I mean, one guy claimed to had tested 5 cameras in a store,, really...!..? Can you imagine a store allowing some guy to unpack 5 D800 and test each one without buying. makes you wonder.

Doing the proper testing is very involved and requires a good hour or more to get it right. Anyone who thinks they can do it properly in a store on 5 copies is either a fool, a liar or both.

Sambr

I know 5 people whom bought the D800 including myself right here in Canada and have had no problems what so ever.

stmv

yes, not denying that the issue is real, but I also wonder if their is not a smear campaign underway.

Let's face it,, The D800 is just that good.

Sambr

You can bet on the smear factor. The D800 was/is evolutionary. No other DSLR has as many MP and at a afforadable cost. The D3x 24 MP camera sold for $8000.00 new. The IQ from the D800 is awesome. I have been shooting both my D700 & D800 and I thought the D700 produces great files(and it does) but nothing compared to the D800( not really fair to compare) 36MP resoultion.
Another point is some people will buy a D800, D3s, thinking "gee I wll take great pictures" but discover that they can take better with their "point and shoot" Then the D800 become a crappy over priced piece of junk. I love those people because then I can buy their crappy D800, D3 or whatever at a bargin usually 1/2 price.

Photowyzard

I know 5 people whom bought the D800 including myself right here in Canada and have had no problems what so ever.

Me included. No issues! This issue is now old and tired and I suspect most of it is from shills. I called and spoke to Nikon before I bought. It is one of 51 sensors and it happened in the early batches. Some had the problem. If you are lucky like me and live a 25 minute drive from Nikon, they promised to fix the issue in 3-4 days.

This didn't disable your camera and is baisicly a really really small problem. Just don't use the top left sensor, one of 51, that leaves you with 50 other sensors to get by on temporarily that are just fine! They also told me the chances of getting one now are very slim to non.

$3k on the table and loving every minute the camera has been in my hands! The whining you hear now is all from the shills waiting to mortgage their houses for the coming 46mp massaiah that will fix the huge disturbance felt in the Photographic Force of late.

I am not minimizing the inconvenience to those who did have this problem. That is why these products have warranties and the bugs are fixed for free.

To listen to five WHINERS who claim they where grossly mistreated and then say the hottest most exciting camera to hit the market in decades is a dog is simply an admission those suggesting this are idiots.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

I got the first D800 here in Darwin, if it has an issue with one of the 51 sensors I have not noticed and therefore probably will never notice... I do not bother with listening to whingers and moaners I have more important things to read/do.

Bazinga

This is not an old and tired issue. If you are lucky to not have the problem then be glad. I've been dealing with Nikon service centers in Canada few times already and all I can say - they are horrible. They try to deny the issue, they try to avoid doing anything, then they do it and they manage to screw up a lot of other focusing sensors (my center one now is so bad I cannot really use it in portrait shooting - pretty much I have to rely on my right sensors only now), they ignore any request for proof images that show that your camera works fine. So, all in all, very unpleasant experience for someone who paid a LOT of money for a camera. So stop badmouthing those who have issues with the camera. And there are actually a lot of those people.

Photowyzard

What do you classify as a lot? What service centres? Just curious? I know a few of the people at Nikon and when I spoke to them, they didn't deny anything.

I have not had to deal with them on this issue, but I have used Nikon service before and I was quite satisfied with the professionalism and level of service.

Who is giving you the gears there?

Sambr

What do you classify as a lot? What service centres? Just curious? I know a few of the people at Nikon and when I spoke to them, they didn't deny anything.

I have not had to deal with them on this issue, but I have used Nikon service before and I was quite satisfied with the professionalism and level of service.

Who is giving you the gears there?

I totally agree Nikon Canada (Mississauga) is awesome. I had an issues recently it was resolved very quickly and efficiently. I can't say enough good about them their professionalism & service is top notch.

Ruidoso Bill

Mine has been incredible, I have been very pleased since I bought it. I feel for those that have had to struggle to get problems resolved, I would be very upset at this price to be in the same situation.

TedG954

Doing the proper testing is very involved and requires a good hour or more to get it right. Anyone who thinks they can do it properly in a store on 5 copies is either a fool, a liar or both.

Is there a checklist or guide for testing a potential camera purchase?

Incubate

We've got two of these camera's, one received on launch week and another later. We have not had any focus issues, just great photos.

Dave_W

The Dude
We've got two of these camera's, one received on launch week and another later. We have not had any focus issues, just great photos.

You know, I thought that too, never had a photo out of focus. In fact most people with cameras that had the focus problem never noticed it with general use. However, when they took the time and set up this very controlled experiment with my lens wide open I was able to see a difference between the left focus. It's subtle and not something that jumps out at you. It's entirely possible your cameras are fine but unless you've run the experiment under the exacting conditions mentioned in the Mansorov's focus tests, you might not even know you've got a problem.