New guy question......

shawn474

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. I am new to the forum and a novice photographer. Got a Pentax *ist Dl camera awhile back and have been getting acquainted to digital photography. I recently got a nikon D^) and am anxious to get to know it and start taking some incredible pictures. Any info or advice on switching cameras and what to expect would be great. Additonally, does anyone know if my Takumar F 70-200mm lens will be compatible with the Nikon? I look forward to browsing the forums and getting my learn on. Is there anything I should know about the Nikon D60 (nuances, etc).

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

AC016

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. I am new to the forum and a novice photographer. Got a Pentax *ist Dl camera awhile back and have been getting acquainted to digital photography. I recently got a nikon D^) and am anxious to get to know it and start taking some incredible pictures. Any info or advice on switching cameras and what to expect would be great. Additonally, does anyone know if my Takumar F 70-200mm lens will be compatible with the Nikon? I look forward to browsing the forums and getting my learn on. Is there anything I should know about the Nikon D60 (nuances, etc).

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Since your Takumar lens was for your Pentax, i don't think it will attach to a Nikon F mount. In regards to the D60, i have never used one. I would go out on Nikon's site and download the manual if you don't have one. Other than that, just get out there and shoot.

Mike150

Hey Shawn.
I was a complete rookie a few years ago when I got my D60. Well to be truthful, I'm still a complete rookie. I started by shooting in Auto mode. Then looked to see what settings the camera made. After a bit I switched to Aperture Priority mode. "A" on the dial. Did you get any lenses with the D60? Probably the two least expensive lenses would be the 18-55 VR and the 55-200 VR. These are generally sold in starter kits with a camera but you can find them in newspaper Ads and online places like Craiglist
Anyway... Have fun with it and learn as you go.

fotojack

I know lots of people who use the D60 and they love them. My niece has one, and she has taken some fantastic shots with it. Welcome to the forum.

shawn474

Thanks guys. I was talking to the sports photographer at work the other day and he was giving me some advice and pointers which were very helpful as well. He said to get the 18-200 lens for the d60 as it would be a great all around lens, very versatile and wouldn't require me to change lenses much for everyday type shooting. He also said that it was easy to learn on. I found one locally on craigslist for $170. It is a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom for $170. Any thoughts on this lens? I am really new when it comes to shopping for used lenses and such, so looking for a bit of advice on whether or not this is a good deal or not.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Fred Kingston

Go back and ask him which 18-200 he was talking about... If I were selecting a "walk around lens"... It would be faster than an F3.5... JMO...

shawn474

Go back and ask him which 18-200 he was talking about... If I were selecting a "walk around lens"... It would be faster than an F3.5... JMO...

Thanks, Fred. What would you recommend? And he didn't specify the F value - can you explain what that means in layman's terms while I research it?

Thanks,
Shawn

AC016

That would be a fine walk around and F3.5 would be fine - it does go up to F22. Not sure why you would need anything faster... perhaps in lower light, but you would do fine with the lens. My only hesitation is that it does not have VR. In low light and at 200mm, you may find it hard to get good clear shots all the time. However, you could use a monopod and shoot in bursts. Go to your local store and try out a similar lens, see how it works out for you.