D600's niche overhyped?

AC016

This is not to knock the D600 in anyway. It's a great camera and i am sure that it will sell like hot cakes! However, it seems that some people are led to beleive that the D600 is the first FX DSLR camera at the 2k price point. This is true in the Nikon world. Look beyond and go back to 2008-2009 and you will see that Sony had the A850. There was also the A900, which i suppose you could say was Sony's D800 at the time. But let's go back to the A850. $2000 was the MSRP back then and the specs were not to bad either:
24.6 MP 35mm format full-frame CMOS sensor (still the highest res in class)
SteadyShot INSIDE full frame image sensor shift stabilization (world first)
Dual Bionz processors
Eye-level glass Penta-prism OVF, 98% coverage, 0.74x magnification
9 point AF with 10 assist points, center dual-cross AF w/2.8 sensor
3 frames per second burst
Intelligent Preview Function
3 User programmable custom memory modes on mode dial
Advanced Dynamic Range Optimizer (5 step selectable)
40 segment honeycomb metering
3.0" 921K pixel Photo Quality (270 dpi) LCD display, 100% coverage
Direct HDMI output
ISO 200-3200 (ISO 100-6400 expanded range)
User interchangeable focusing screens (3 options)
CF Type I/II and MS slots, LI-ION battery, STAMINA 880 shots
Weight 850g (without battery, card, accs)
New Image Data Converter SR software (includes vignetting control)
Optional vertical Grip
Magnesium Alloy body and rubber seals for dust and moisture resistance
AF micro adjustment

Again, let's keep in mind that this came out in 2009, so the specs are pretty darn good. So, looking at this - albeit it being a camera from 3 years ago - i am wondering what all the hype is about bringing out a budget FX camera?? It has been done before. I suppose that most of us here only care about what happens in the Nikon world, so who gives an F what Sony did 3 years ago? And perhaps rightly so, because we are Nikon users, not flippin Sony users! But, Sony did do it first. It's something to think about amongst all the hype about the D600, but only for a few seconds :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So, looking at this - albeit it being a camera from 3 years ago - i am wondering what all the hype is about bringing out a budget FX camera?? It has been done before. I suppose that most of us here only care about what happens in the Nikon world, so who gives an F what Sony did 3 years ago?

- There are many factors that needs to be consider and each individual may have a different definition of a "budget" FX camera. I would call it "affordable" but again, that is also subjective depending on how much an individual is willing to spend on a particular product. In today's economy, I say it is moderately priced.

I'm not sure which forum you are referring to with regards to "hype". Let's just call it enthusiastic photographers who are now presented with a Nikon FX camera that is substantially cheaper than the D4 and D800. Since the D600 is an entry level or is currently the cheapest FX camera that Nikon offers, it is implied that the D600 is a budget camera which is similar to the D3200.

In a way, the D600 is the "first" budget FX camera that is priced at $2,000. with a 24mp sensor, has HD video, dual SD card slots, a 100% optical view finder and your F mount lenses can work very well with it.

Would you consider that as an accurate and fair statement? But you are right that I really couldn't care much about Sony's previous and current models but those are their bragging rights.

Last edited: