EXPERT OPINIONS ONLY! (ONLY KIDDING) Please pick one.

TedG954

OK. Experts are not necessary. If that was the case, I'd never have an opinion.

Please review the photos below.
Both were taken with a D700.
They were merged with Photomatix in the "natural", and then collaged with Picasa.
They both received the exact same processing, since they were virtually one photo.
The only difference is that one photo is processed with 3 bracketed photos, and the other is processed with 5 bracketed photos.

Can you tell the difference? I can.

View attachment 17293

Scott Murray

The one on the left is 5 and the right is 3?

The reason why I say this is that there is more dynamic range in my opinion in the left one compared to the right.

AC016

And which is which?

lol, well, in all honesty, i would not be able to tell you which is 5 and which is 3. I can only tell you that i can see a difference in the lighting. For example, i notice the table is a bit darker in the picture on the right. Though, now that i am writing this, yes, the one on left i suppose is 5 since you seem to be getting a bit better exposure. That is my non-expert opinion if it counts for anything.

Rick M

I would say the one on the left is 5. The one on the right seems sharper to me, leading me to think it is fewer exposures blended.

stmv

but couldn't you get a better model then a lamp post, while the one on the left might show more details then the one on the right, it is a bit more boring, flat image, I prefer the one with more shadows.

TedG954

I can't wait for the big reveal! This better be good if I'm gonna stay up late past my bedtime!

You could take a nap......

33.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
OK the one on the left is brighter. I'm going to base my answer on which one has the whitest whites and the darkest darks which IMO is the snap on the right...so the one on the right has the greatest range so it is the 5 shot.

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

Well to throw it out there, I think the Right is the 5 image, its slightly darker leading me to think its 5 both look great though

Carroll

On my monitor, the carpet in the photo on the left shows more detail in colors. That photo also appears to be a bit lighter that the one on the right. If 5 files merged makes a photo darker, then the left one is 3 and the right one is 5.

Both photos look good, however. You could probably straighten the room a little better. (Attempted humour...)

Now for something serious. Is the Napper hiding something in his right sleeve with his left hand? LOL

Carroll