Shutterbeam alternative? (long)

ianmoff

Hi all

If you look at my gallery you'll see some photos of Blue Tits in my garden. I've cranked iso to 1600 and shutter to 1/1000 to freeze wing beat but in my opinion the pix are too dull, dark and noisy. They wont take cropping without becoming unusable. The camera, a D40 with 55-200 f4.5 VR, was set on a tripod and fired remotely.

My new project is more light. I have an SB-25 that I can set remotely with a wireless trigger and onboard flash or SB-400 on the camera. But I'll still have to sit there and trust to reflexes. I'd like a remote trigger for all this so I don't have to sit there with my finger on the button, possibly scaring away subjects!

So looking around the net I was surprised when I could only find a Shutterbeam system. Perfect for what I want but £500 (yes pounds not dollars!) too expensive.

Is there a cheaper alternative?

Snap Happy

There is a lot of remote triggers on ebay, if you are willing to spend the time doing a search. Not sure if you have looked already as part of our looking around the net. :)

ianmoff

There is a lot of remote triggers on ebay, if you are willing to spend the time doing a search. Not sure if you have looked already as part of our looking around the net. :)

Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing. I want an infrared trigger that will remotely fire a D40 when something breaks the beam. All I can find are remote triggers for the camera and I have one of them. Firing the flash is no problem as I have wireless or long PC cords.

If you've seen something please post an item number. Doesn't matter if it's outside UK, it gives me something to work from ;-)

Cheers!

Ian