Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3

Scott Murray

Does anyone use the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3, I am considering buying it before I go to Africa and taking it along instead of my 80-400mm VR.

Pierro

I have one Scott - likes plenty of light, best Ap is f8, and like many big zooms, its true FL at 500mm is actually about 480mm. It can be a bit soft at full Tele, so back it off to around 450mm. Its brilliant from 150-300mm. The consensus is that the Sig 50-500 OS is the better lens, but it comes at a higher price than the 150-500 OS.

Sigma seem to have a rather up and down internet opinion on QC, so if you can, take your camera to a shop and try the lens out before purchasing, and make sure you dont get a friday build lemon

cbg

I've been using one for quite a while, both on my D5000 and now on my D7000. As Pierro said, it needs light and a tripod, although I have used it a lot handheld. Many of the birds pictures in my flickr account were taken with it. Here's the link if you want to look at some of them.

Flickr: cgilyeat's Photostream

Colin

Last edited:

slowpoke

If I had the 80-400 VR,I'd buy a Sigma 2x teleconverter.And if I get the money,I'll buy me a Sigma 120-300mmF2.8 to go with the 2X

Scott Murray

If I had the 80-400 VR,I'd buy a Sigma 2x teleconverter.And if I get the money,I'll buy me a Sigma 120-300mmF2.8 to go with the 2X

I tried a 2x on my 80-400vr. No pics were keep able or to a standard that I liked. I would rather use the lens by itself and get closer.

slowpoke

If there's a way to test it out it might be worth looking into.I hope you have the time to REALY look around.All the Best. Joe

BackdoorArts

What Pete said.

I've got plenty of wildlife shots on my Flickr account linked below that were taken with this lens and a D7000. Many were handheld and the image stabilization system works very well. I love the lens, but am saving for the 120-300 f2.8 Sigma with a 2x. The weight on that one will make it tough for handheld, but it'll be nice to have that kind of flexibility, and the add'l stops.

wtlwdwgn

Taken with a 1D Mark II N (since replaced by a D700), the Bigmos + 1.4x TC from about 20 ft/6 m, 1/1600 @ f/10, ISO 400. I found another Bigmos with an F mount for < $500 and a 1.4x TC for < $150 on eekBay so more to come.

Marmot%20II-3878-XL.jpg