Hummingbirds are also carnivores

Dave_W

The Dude
As I was going thru a large lot of hummingbird photos that I shot this afternoon (I'll post some of the better one's later) and I caught this shot quite by accident. I had heard that hummingbirds also ate bugs but had until now never actually seen it. I wish I had had a better bead on the bird and she hadn't been in the shade but nevertheless, I'll take it.

D800; 70-300mm; f-6.3; ISO-800; 1/4000 sec

View attachment 16992

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

As I was going thru a large lot of hummingbird photos that I shot this afternoon (I'll post some of the better one's later) and I caught this shot quite by accident. I had heard that hummingbirds also ate bugs but had until now never actually seen it. I wish I had had a better bead on the bird and she hadn't been in the shade but nevertheless, I'll take it.

D800; 70-300mm; f-6.3; ISO-800; 1/4000 sec

View attachment 16992

DUDE!!! You go at those speeds without a helmet and YOU'LL catch a few bugs too! :stupid:

emoxley

Neat shot.
Yes, they eat bugs. They especially like fruit flies. You can put a banana peel in a shoebox, and leave it open a few days. Once fruit flies start to appear, put a lid on it. They will reproduce. Occasionally, open the lid and let a few flies out for the hummers. Of course, you'll want the box near the feeder.

Did you know it's a federal offense to possess even a hummingbird feather, much less the bird itself? It's because they are migratory birds, and are covered by the federal migratory laws.