Need Help Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 ( D vs non D)

ctagoona

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you all. I'm looking to buy the nikon 35-70 2.8, and i found a camera shop that has couple in great condition, He has one version that is a D lens, and another that is non d, The non d version is quite a bit cheaper so im wondering, Would this lens work with my camera? Im shooting with a Nikon d7000, sense its digital is the D version a must?

Thanks
C

stmv

my understanding is that the D was an upgrade to aid in the Flash use, and perhaps some coating difference. I have the Non D Version, and love it, optically and the look and feel are identical. These lens are absolute tanks, and yet small. and falls within the sharpest zooms made by Nikon.

I think the lens has spoiled me, I just can't get myself to buy a 24-35 2.8, which is so much larger, and bulkier.

I prefer to keep a 20-35 2.8 in a pouch, and have a easy swap, the camera is so easy to use with either lens.

So, I would not fret getting the NonD,, try it out, you can always resell, and get a D later. but I doupt that you will.

enjoy this gem.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Only if you do a lot of flash photography would the D version be better for you. The only thing it has is it tells the flash what is the focusing distance between camera and focus point.
I have this lens and it's great on the D7000. Nice thing is that you can get really close with it at 35mm.

nikkormike

Well I have i have the Nikon 35-70 2.8D lens and saves fussing about manually focusing. My wife hates hanging about and the auto-focus in the D model certainly speeds things up. The lens is brilliant on my D7000.

nikkormike

whoops I posted some in accurate info about a 35-70 D lens and suggested that a non D lens was not auto focus please disregard though the D lens does have some advantage on metering.

hrstrat57

I have the D version.

Killer lens, super sharp, rocket focusing and nice colors. Performs brilliantly on either D700 or D300....

Never seen the other version can't help....