I've been pulling my hair out, and that's pretty difficult, since I shave my head.

TedG954

I want an FX camera. I mean I really want an FX camera.

I sold one of my other toys, and I have $1500 to spend. Hmmmmmm..... the plot thickens.

My choices are D600, D700, and a D800.
  • I can't afford a new D600, and there aren't any used ones yet.
  • I can't afford a used D800, as the price is out of my range.
  • Enter the D700. I found a "near-mint D700 with just over 10k clicks" on Craigslist. The seller wanted $1595, originally. A few days later, the price went to $1495, with a threat to put it on eBay if it didn't sell.
I decided to place my own ad.... "WTB D700 Have $1400 to Spend".

Ding-dong, you have mail. The D700 was offered for $1450, but I held my reply at "If you don't sell it for your asking price, let me know and I'll take it for $1400."

Ding-dong, you have mail.... Let's make the deal. So, I will hopefully buy a near-mint D700 tomorrow. More news to follow................

Pierro

Ted, till you got your FX lenses, what lenses will you currently be using on your new/old D700 ?

I'd love a D3 or a D700 myself. I wonder what kidneys sell for on the black market these days... ding dong !

Scott Murray

Ted, till you got your FX lenses, what lenses will you currently be using on your new/old D700 ?

I'd love a D3 or a D700 myself. I wonder what kidneys sell for on the black market these days... ding dong !
Here you go Pierro.

Patients, many of whom will go to China, India or Pakistan for surgery, can pay up to $200,000 (nearly £128,000) for a kidney to gangs who harvest organs from vulnerable, desperate people, sometimes for as little as $5,000.

The Guardian contacted an organ broker in China who advertised his services under the slogan, "Donate a kidney, buy the new iPad!" He offered £2,500 for a kidney and said the operation could be performed within 10 days.

Carolina Photo Guy

The Guardian contacted an organ broker in China who advertised his services under the slogan, "Donate a kidney, buy the new iPad!" He offered £2,500 for a kidney and said the operation could be performed within 10 days.

THATS a real pisser! That much money for something thats been used for YEARS??? :confused: :stupid:

TedG954

I have my DX lenses.... 35mm, 18-55mm, and a 55-200mm. My neighbor gave me two Quantaray film lenses.... 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 and a 70-300mm F4-5.6. Not exactly Nikkor, but the price is right.

Last edited:

TedG954

Wow. I'm really blessed. I picked up my "used" D700. If there weren't finger prints on the LCD, I would have thought it was NIB. It is in excellent condition and I am very pleased.

View attachment 16924

It came with all the original accessories, in the original box. Additionally, I received an extra battery, a Thomas D700 Field Guide, a memory card, a UV filter, and a glass LCD protector. The leather hand strap is a lot nicer than the one I use on my D5100.

View attachment 16925

I sat and talked with the seller, Dave, for a while. He told me he had a dozen inquiries about the camera, but they were all scam artists. He sold the D700 because of an arthritis problem in his hands and the weight of the D700 was a burden. He just bought a D600. As we talked, he mentioned that he had some lenses for sale too. I told him I'd be using some hand-me-down Quantaray lenses, but I might come back for the Nikon 35mm 1:2 D lens that I took sample pics with. Dave handed me the lens and said, "Take the lens with you. If you like it, you can have it for $150. If you don't like it, just bring it back." Exceptional! He said he wasn't worried about the lens and that I looked trustworthy (my Mom would have been proud).

View attachment 16932

Now, I have tons of reading to do. The D700 is massive. I've named it "The Beast". I like it. I like a lot.

Last edited:

Tami Jo

Wow what a score! Congrats on the new Beast:applouse::applouse: What a very trusting seller. That is nearly unheard of these days. I hope you enjoy your new camera and the 35mm lens too. Can't wait to see some of those first shots Ted.

AC016

Hey man, congrats on "The Beast". Love it!! I remember when i got my "new" D80. A+ condition and a great price to. I guess compared to my D5100, it's a beast to, albeit a smaller one than yours, lol. Enjoy it Ted.

AC016

lol, just out of pure coincedence, i was checking one of my local stores here and they have a d700 - used - being sold for $1800 Canadian. Would be interesting to find out how many actuations there are on it.