Uploaded photos

janfe

How about a bit more info on uploaded photos such as: Title, type of camera, where taken etc.

Just a thought...

janfe

Actually I see now information from later cameras is given in a box to the right of the photo ... I missed that before. But yes, some description would also be good too...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The description on photos in the gallery is up to the person who uploads the image. The information on the right if from the image EXIF data.

Fork

I don't know about anyone else but I usually avoid giving my photos fancy titles. I find that photo titles are often over-thought and end up either cheesy or nonsensical other than to the photographer. With my photos, if it's a photo of a squirrel, you can assume it's title is "Squirrel".

Also, unless you are specifically doing travel photography documenting a specific place, where or when the shot was taken is fairly irrelevant to the shot. Also, telling people where you took it might lead to an influx of people running to to take the same shot, then what?! We'd all be the same!

If someone specifically requests that information about a photo I generally have no issue in letting them know, but as a rule, I don't forfeit that information off my own back.

Finally, to give a description of a photo in my opinion kind of defeats the point. The subject of a photo should be clear (or at least thought provoking). If it isn't, perhaps the photo is unsuccessful?

Reading that back it sounds quite pretentious, that's not intentional! I just think a photo should be appreciated for what it is rather than what the photographer tells you it is.

EXIF data is a different matter. It can be helpful to newbies to know what settings were used, but EXIF data can be misleading if the photo has been heavily processed. Even a strong boost of contrast or saturation can mislead a newbie on the result of your camera settings.

Last edited:

janfe

Well Fork, I get where you are coming from, however there is hardly a painting in the world that does not have a title...and I see photos as much like paintings. To me it sort of completes the work. But everyone to their own. The comment was also made before I found the camera info in the box on the right. I have been photographing for over 40 years so I would hardly call myself a newbie and I find that info interesting that's all.

ding

I like what fork said about the naming of a photograph - sometimes i just don't have a title for it, i mean sometimes i do and i will sometimes use it... but if i don't then its basically just what it is eg; squirrel. I'm not always good with words, or clever titles - which is why i like to read books rather than write them - and why i love to take photo's so that people can think of their own title... if its nothing more than the obvious said squirrel then i love to hear peoples name for it, it helps me to see what people get from my photo's. I usually want them to see what i see without any words leading them to that conclusion. If they can do that then i have done what i set out to do :)

janfe

Hi Mandy

Like I said to Fork I understand both your comments. When I first made my comment I could find no info on the photos and that is what prompted me to comment, but I have since found the info box. Still a squirrel is not just a squirrel...it could be a red squirrel, grey squirrel is a lesser spotted green monkey squirrel with knobs on. It is not always clear and sometimes helpful to know...still I agree with you both that leaving something to the viewers fantasy is also not a bad idea..

Jan

ding

Hehe I know u did. I just wanted to give my reasons why I don't always title my photo's :)
Didn't mean to offend or anything like that. I just like to share my thoughts from time to time...
Btw... that last squirrel... that made me chuckle, would love to see one of those haha

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

I don't care if a photo has a title or not, probably for the same reasons as Fork listed above. What I do like though is if the photographer tells where and with what the picture was taken.