Defective Nikon 105mm Micro?

dirollin

Defective AF-S VRII 105mm micro f/2.8G IF-ED?

Hello Nikonites! Brand new member here!
I don't really post on a lot of forums but felt I needed to at this point to have my worries confirmed. (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.)

I have a d800e on the way and I have already received my 105mm Micro but my testing shows something maybe wrong... I'm using my roommates d7000 (as I sold my camera) to test and was very surprised by the BAD results. Can anyone please confirm that this is NOT right? This is my 2nd 105mm Micro and I find it hard to fathom that 2 lenses coming from 2 different locations would be defective... Is there some issue with the D7000 that I'm not aware of? In my previous experiences I should be able to match the live view sharpness with AF Fine tune... However even at -20 it still seems bad.

UPDATED INFO:
*Tripod, with timer.
*AF One shot, Center Weighted & using cross point
*VR OFF*ISO 100
*f/3.2
*1/60th

LensTest105mm.jpg

Last edited:

dirollin

Sorry, I should have posted that info...

*Tripod, with timer.
*AF One shot, Center Weighted & using cross point
*VR OFF
*ISO 100
*f/3.2
*1/60th

I'm literally testing "By the Book"

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Given that the live view produces the proper focus kinda rules out the lens as being the problem. It sounds as thou the AF on the D7k is having a problem. As with the AF issues on the D800, some focus points are spot on while others are not. Maybe try moving the autofocus point over a click or two and try again. But it's sounding like there's an issue with the camera body to me. On this train of thought, how do other lenses perform on the D7k?

dirollin

Thanks a lot for your quick response!

Thats a little comforting knowing it may be the body(since its not my body!) I didnt even think about moving the focus point, as I was under the impression the the cross point is ALWAYS the most accuarate. I will give that a try and see what comes of it.

Do you have any advice on testing my d800e when it arrives, and How did your 800 test? Do you know if the latest 800/800e bodies still have the defect or did Nikon quietly fix it?

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Do you have any advice on testing my d800e when it arrives, and How did your 800 test? Do you know if the latest 800/800e bodies still have the defect or did Nikon quietly fix it?

Read up on the links I added to my reply. I'm not sure the current status of the D800, several members have received new copies but I've not heard whether or not they've tested theirs in these controlled experiments to see if there's an issue or not. I didn't think I had a problem to begin with and my focus was sharp as a razor but when I set it up exactly like Nasim describes I found my far left focus point was indeed off. I've not yet sent it in to Nikon but when I'm ready (at some point before my year's warranty is up) my local dealer has agreed to send it in for me. I'm just having way too much fun with my D800 and am not ready to be a week or two without her.

My suggestion is that the first thing you do is fine tune your lenses to your new D800E and go out and play with it. Then when things calm down do the AF focus tests very carefully and determine if it has the bug. If so, you're not alone but on the positive side, Nikon does know how to fix this issue and given that you have 51 focus points you can go a long time using only 50 of them (which is why I'm not in a big hurry to send mine off).

dirollin

Thank you! I will do what you have suggested!

In the mean time while I wait for my 800e heres a test shot done with the 105mm using MF... (still had to sharpen a lot in post)

LifeDeath105.jpg

Just-Clayton

How close were you to the leaf. With the 105 you should be able to stay back a bit. Set it at iso100/f11 flash and 200 speed. The flash strength will depend if in a shaded area or sunny area. I'm guessing you were close to the subject.

Last edited: