What about the Nikkor 28-70/2.8 AFS D?

Eye-level

Banned
Anyone have one of these or used one? What are your thoughts? I am thinking screw the primes I could have a one lens do it all kit if this lens will do it all. I don't need long range stuff just something wide to normal and short tele for portraits on a DX body.

This lens is affectionately referred to as "the Beast"...I like that... :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've never seen it but was told it was quite big. Have you thought about the 35-70 2.8? smaller and lighter for sure, but maybe not wide enough?

pedroj

I have the beast and it is great...It is a fair bit cheaper then the 24-70mm and I don't think there is a lot of difference in the images produced..If you wont wide turn it on it's side and do panos..

AxeMan - Rick S.

I don't have the lens, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. It's my upgrade list when I sell my Sigma equivalents.. Be warned your going to need DEEP pockets for this one.

Eye-level

Banned
35-70 is not wide enough for a single lens kit at least for me. Looks like they are going for around a grand or so. OK I think this is where I am going to land. I guess pretty here soon I'll started listing all my gear for sale! I'm anxious to get into a new body...hahaha that just doesn't sound quite right.

Thanks all.

pedroj

35-70 is not wide enough for a single lens kit at least for me. Looks like they are going for around a grand or so. OK I think this is where I am going to land. I guess pretty here soon I'll started listing all my gear for sale! I'm anxious to get into a new body...hahaha that just doesn't sound quite right.

Thanks all.

What will the wife say

LensWork

I have one, and as long as it is still functional, I will have no desire for the AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G. The beauty of the 28-70 is that it is NOT a "G" lens, so it can be used with any Nikon F-mount camera ever made. When, and if, the AF-S motor needs to be replaced I will probably spend the $400 to have Nikon service it and keep on shooting it. Great lens!

pedroj

This was taken with it...I'll find a few more tomorrow if you want..

North brother Mount Jan 21st 056.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
That is pretty cool...I've been trolling the net looking at this lens and photos made by it. Very impressive I must say. I think I am pretty much decided on it. Looks like I'll need a grip for the Fuji to balance it out. I've been reading up on the Fuji too and have discovered a few folks who say they rather shoot with something else as it is to fussy. I don't know I am a glutton for hard to use cameras.

I really respect your all's opinions on this stuff though so that is why I am beating it like a dead horse. Good thing about the 28-70 is the internal focusing motor so if the Fuji doesn't work out I can pawn it off to someone else and step back into a 5000, 5100, 7000, 90 or whatever pretty easily.

pedroj

The AF motor kind of scares me because when I do shoot I shoot a lot. It is not a thing for me to make 250+ snaps a session.

I also have a 16-35mm F4 AF-S and have shot up to 1000 images in a day doing a Ballet School...

I do know the AF motor can fail and can be expensive to have repaired....I think Canon have been using motors in their lens for a while and haven't heard of to many of them failing...

pedroj

Here are a few more taken with the 28-70mm..

Attachments

• North brother Mount Jan 21st 135.jpg
    North brother Mount Jan 21st 135.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 168
  • North brother Mount Jan 21st 016.jpg
    North brother Mount Jan 21st 016.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 159
  • North brother Mount Jan 21st 074.jpg
    North brother Mount Jan 21st 074.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 187
  • North brother Mount Jan 21st 104.jpg
    North brother Mount Jan 21st 104.jpg