Macro thread needed

Scott Murray

Seems you just created one, ask your questions. :)
Haha ok. Well here is the question. I have been wanting to get more into Macro as we have lots of bugs up here. I hear a lot about certain setups like extension tubes etc, but honestly I do not know what these are or do! I have also heard about "reverse" mounts! What are these? I use a 90mm macro lens and plan to try and get some pics on my next days off (starting Tuesday). I have a few ideas and plans for some shots but need the skill to pull them off. Also whats the best lighting set up?

AC016

a reverse mount is an adapter that you put on your camera. You then mount your lens backwards. I don't beleive that it gives a 1:1 though, but it is a cheap way of getting a macro lens. What do you mean by lighting setup? If you are taking pictures of bugs, i would assume you are outside; in which case, you have to use what light is outside. If you already have a Macro lens, no need to worry about hte cheaper solutions.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The best lighting solution for bugs is flash with a diffuser or even two flashes on extended brackets controlled by a radio trigger.
One thing to remember is that the closer you get (more magnification), the less depth of field you'll have for the same aperture.

If you don't want to go with flash, get in the sunlight and use a piece of white cardboard to reflect some sun to open the shadows.

Experiment and have fun with the process of learning.

After a while, you might want to experiment with "focus stacking". This consist of taking multiple pictures while you actually move the camera on a rail to displace the focus. You then have to merge them in Photoshop or I think there is a specific software that does just that.

Try googling "focus stacking" and you'll probably find quite a few hits with video demonstrations.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Scott Murray

The best lighting solution for bugs is flash with a diffuser or even two flashes on extended brackets controlled by a radio trigger.
One thing to remember is that the closer you get (more magnification), the less depth of field you'll have for the same aperture.

If you don't want to go with flash, get in the sunlight and use a piece of white cardboard to reflect some sun to open the shadows.

Experiment and have fun with the process of learning.

After a while, you might want to experiment with "focus stacking". This consist of taking multiple pictures while you actually move the camera on a rail to displace the focus. You then have to merge them in Photoshop or I think there is a specific software that does just that.

Try googling "focus stacking" and you'll probably find quite a few hits with video demonstrations.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Thanks Marcel I have read and saw some great photos with focus stacking, but I dont think that is my cup of tea ;). If my idea goes well I will post the photos here. I think the biggest issue is going to be lighting, but luckily it is always sunny and as you said I should be able to deflect or reflect the sun to where I need it. I might even create a blog regarding my thoughts on what I am trying to achieve and my results. Looks like I may go out and buy a new flash as well as you can never have too many.

unkyjohn

Pickleworm.jpg

Marcel, this is one of the first shots I took with my new 105mm micro lens (previously shown in the insects thread). I wondered why the background had become very dark so I guess if I had used my pop up flash it would have lightened it. As I was so close to the subject would it have made that much difference to the exposure on the worm?

John

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

View attachment 16876

Marcel, this is one of the first shots I took with my new 105mm micro lens (previously shown in the insects thread). I wondered why the background had become very dark so I guess if I had used my pop up flash it would have lightened it. As I was so close to the subject would it have made that much difference to the exposure on the worm?

John

Hi John,

This is a very cool picture. In this case, I don't think that using your "on board" flash would have done much. The problem with the on board flash is that when you're doing close-ups, the lens is in the light path from the flash to the object. You then get a black half circle in the bottom of your pics. An external flash though even on the hot-shoe is higher and the light gets to the subject.

Now to come back to your situation, remember that the light from the flash decreases very much with distance. So I would guess that your background might have been lit a bit, but then the bug would have been over-exposed like crazy. And, for me, dark background with close-ups is fine, less distractions.

Have fun.

Dave_W

The Dude

John

This is a very nice macro image. I've found that background is every bit as important as the foreground subject, especially in macro photography. The wonderful contrast between the well lit subject and the solid black and featureless background really makes the foreground pop. Well done, sir!