Resolution test scores for the Nikon D800

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Since questions have been asked more frequently, here is a quick guide provided by lensrental.com. You'll be surprised on which lens scored the highest. Enjoy.

LensRentals.com - D800 Lens Selection

[h=2]Nikon Primes[/h]
[h=2]Nikon Zooms[/h]

Eye-level

Banned
Two things stand out to me...first the zooms are as good or better than the primes and secondly the G lenses do very very good (I figured that would be the case)

stmv

yes,, I think that zooms closed the gap a while ago, its more the distortion one gets with zoom that is the tradeoff, or when you want to reduce weight, Lately, my zooms seem to be winning and staying on the cameras way more then the primes.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was surprised about the Nikon 24mm PCe lens since it scored the lowest among the lenses that were tested.

Although I am not complaining, the Nikon 28mm f1.8G and the 16-35mm f4 which I both own, scored surprisingly high.

stmv

unfortunately, they only post lens that they currently rent, would be cool if they included a broader range.

Eye-level

Banned
I would like to see the numbers on the 85/1.4 Ais. They say it is one of the old Nikkors that the new Nikkors can't beat. Makes me wonder about the Noct too.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
unfortunately, they only post lens that they currently rent, would be cool if they included a broader range.

They actually tested other lenses such as the Zeiss F mounts. I understand why they didn't include the older lenses; just like cars, there aren't many people who would be interested in renting the older lenses.

Zeiss:

As you can see, most of these lenses don't require you to go all the way to f8. f4 to f5.6 gives you the optimal resolution with the D800.

Last edited:

stmv

some day this winter, I'll spend a snowy windy day taking controlled shots with a resolution chart of my lens to see how each does, informally, I have been comparing and noticing signficant differences, but the lower quality lens on my D800 will still produce a better image then the same lens on my D700 has been my observation.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
some day this winter, I'll spend a snowy windy day taking controlled shots with a resolution chart of my lens to see how each does, informally, I have been comparing and noticing signficant differences, but the lower quality lens on my D800 will still produce a better image then the same lens on my D700 has been my observation.

I think you are seeing more details and better dynamic range with the D800. Between my D7000 and D800, I grab my D800E much more frequently when it comes to still or video. It's hard to quantify, but the difference is there.