Wide angle for D800

Scott Murray

Hi guys I am looking at purchasing a decent wide angle lens for my D800, I currently have a 18-55mm VR DX lens. Other lenses I have are 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 90mm 2.8 Macro and a 80-400mm VR. So I am guessing maybe something anywhere from 12 up to 50 would suffice. Does anybody know of a good lens that will suit my needs?

Thanks in advance.

stmv

I like my antique 20-35,, so compact and built like a tank. or in my side pocket, I'll throw a 20mm fprime afs or a 28. The D800 is already fairly heavy, so I like lightening the package with primes.

My favorite is a small belt lens pouch just big enough to carry the 20-35 2.8 or 35-70 2.8 which are both light lens and with that combo, have a nice carry around package.

for wide angle consider a 15mm prime, or 16 mm prime, still way lighter then these big wide angle zooms.

if weight is no issue, then the 16-35 does sounds like an interesting lens but I have heard mixed reviews once it is open beyound 20mm, which seems like the whole point of dealing with a heavy lens. I am interested in this lens, but a bit worried about its performance wide open before investing serious money.

Scott Murray

I like my antique 20-35,, so compact and built like a tank. or in my side pocket, I'll throw a 20mm fprime afs or a 28. The D800 is already fairly heavy, so I like lightening the package with primes.

My favorite is a small belt lens pouch just big enough to carry the 20-35 2.8 or 35-70 2.8 which are both light lens and with that combo, have a nice carry around package.

for wide angle consider a 15mm prime, or 16 mm prime, still way lighter then these big wide angle zooms.

if weight is no issue, then the 16-35 does sounds like an interesting lens but I have heard mixed reviews once it is open beyound 20mm, which seems like the whole point of dealing with a heavy lens. I am interested in this lens, but a bit worried about its performance wide open before investing serious money.
I have until next week to decide and then I will probably buy one if they are in stock, from all the reviews I have read they seem a very good lens. I will let you know how it performs and will post pics at differing zooms when I get it. My 80-400mm VR weighs in at 1.4kg so weight is really not an issue ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
Is the 14-24mm too far to the wide angle side to be a contender? It's an awesome lens, possibly the best wide angle zoom but has no normal in it's range, just strictly wide angle.

Scott Murray

Is the 14-24mm too far to the wide angle side to be a contender? It's an awesome lens, possibly the best wide angle zoom but has no normal in it's range, just strictly wide angle.

Nope this is not out of the question, my only criteria is that it must be a wide angle and be nice and sharp. I was also looking at some Carl Zeiss lenses but these may be too exxy for my likings.

Just read up about the 14-24 and the only issue I see is the fact that filters cannot be attached to it. I like my CP and also would like to use a ND with it.

Last edited:

Disorderly

I got the 16-35mm f/4. It's pretty close to an FX equivalent to the 10-24mm I used with my D300. Haven't given it a proper workout yet but so far I'm pleased.

Scott Murray

Ok am weighing up my two options, the 16-35mm f/4 ($1,549 AUD) and the 14-24mm f/2.8 ($2,349 AUD or hopefully price matched to $1,905 AUD). Honestly if I can get the 14-24mm for that price I will take it.

Sambr

I have the 16-35 F4 - awesome lens and unlike the 14-24 2.8 you can use 77mm filters, it's lighter cheaper and better "long end range"

Scott Murray

Actually after comparing and looking at the sample images from them both I have decided to go down to my camera house dealer and buy the 16-35mm I think this is the one for me. If I want wider I will look at primes. Thank you all for your input and help.

Dave_W

The Dude
The 16-35mm is a nice lens but has a bad tendency to develop a "squeak" when auto-focusing. Not sure why this particular lens is so notorious for developing a squeak but it will cost ~$250 for Nikon to fix. I don't think it affects the performance of the lens but the price should be commensurate with the cost of the repair, if it does have the squeak.

Dave_W

The Dude
Haven't heard of this...Mine doesn't squeak and I've had it a couple off years..

Doh!!! my bad, it's the 17-35mm that has the squeak issue. I thought the numbers 16-35mm seems strange but wrote it off as a senior moment or something. But no, the 16-35mm may or may not have this issue but the 17-35mm does have a problem with squeaking.