Waxing Crescent Moon 9-18-2012

Eye-level

Banned
Nice. Surely a tripod shot right? Have you tried a hand held one? Looks like you have a whole f stop and some ISO left.

I'd like to see a ISO 200, 400, 800 series in addition to this ISO 100 just to see what the 800 does with it.

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice. Surely a tripod shot right? Have you tried a hand held one? Looks like you have a whole f stop and some ISO left.

I'd like to see a ISO 200, 400, 800 series in addition to this ISO 100 just to see what the 800 does with it.

You got it. Tomorrow night, if the marine layer doesn't come in early, I'll post a series of ISO shots

Eye-level

Banned
You know I have been studying the Fuji S5 lately and something I keep seeing over and over is how the modern cameras have finally matched and surpassed the DR offered by the Fuji. What they are saying is that in order to do it well you have to underexpose then in post you have to go back and enhance the shadows. The Fuji seems to STILL be able to beat ANYTHING concerning the highlights. The problem DSLR's have is highlight roll off. With film the highlight roll off is smooth and gradual...the Fuji does this very well too almost exactly like a film camera. Most every other DSLR can't achieve the highlight roll off smoothness like that. They go abruptly burn out white all of a sudden. I noticed this in one of Marcel's portraits posted earlier today. The picture is well exposed but the highlights just go blinding white all of a sudden. My guess is that if you are using a D3, D700, D5100, D7000, D800, etc. and you intentionally underexpose the image and then bring up the shadows in PP then you can get the finest picture and the most DR out of the camera without the harsh drop off in the highlights...something to think about...

Last edited:

Pierro

Jeff - how close are ya to grabbing an S5 ? Be interesting to see some results with your MF Nikkors. I dont know anyone who has this particular body

Eye-level

Banned
It is still several months out. Thing is though I think I am selling all of my MF stuff although it is going to be hard to part with the 105. None of my lenses will work with the S5 except for my 50 E...they are all K models so non Ai. Plus I am selling the D5000, both F2's, both EM's, and my FE and probably all of the lenses except for the 18-55 Rook gave me and one of the 50 E's (both of which I will give to people here on Nikonites at some point). Only film camera I am keeping is the space camera.

The plan is to buy a 85/1.4 D and test out the 18-55 also (going AF just like someone asked me about a month or so ago). I am going through a major paradigm shift this is another reason I am not shooting here lately. I'm not even gonna try really until I have the new camera in hand I think.

Film is getting way to expensive and harder and harder to find and get processed. I am just not to enthusiastic about the D5000 anymore either although it is a great camera.

That being said I may try to pick up a 105 Ais or I might even do the 85/1.4 Ais instead of the D...but I don't know yet.

Last edited:

Pierro

Pretty dramatic change around ! You'll love the 105 - I posted a couple i shot earlier today in the Pets / Dogs thread. Fabulous lens

Eye-level

Banned
I use my 105 almost exclusively and incidentally it is the same exact lens as yours even though it is non Ai - because it is a transitional K lens it has the same coatings as Ai and Ais. I love how it draws.

Yes...major paradigm shift. I am after a great portrait maker big time and I think the Fuji and 85 D is going to fit the bill for me. My D5000 almost works but I want the highlight roll off/film look that the Fuji does.

Last edited:

Pierro

Yeah i'd forgot about your non Ai 105 - in which case, you'll be right at home with the Ais version - no surprises if you grab one.

Dave_W

The Dude
Hi Jeff
I tried to get a series of ISO shots but mucked it up. I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime I was experimenting with EV and although I have no idea the difference between adjusting EV vs. shutting speeds, it make a HUGE difference in the resulting image. This shot below was at - 1 2/3 EV with the ISO @ 100; f-6.7; 1/10 sec. I really like the results of adjusting the EV vs. shutter speed. Now I've got to figure out what the heck EV is...

View attachment 16838

Eye-level

Banned
Oh heck yeah much better! We sort of mucked up your thread...sorry...

Man I can't wait for the full moon this is going to be awesome...better than any dang telescope I've ever seen.

EV is what I was trying to explain to you all the other night...found this from Ken which explains what I was trying to say much more clearly.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ev.htm

I often work off of EV because of coming from film and sunny 16...it just easier if you ask me. Basically you just shot that frame above at almost 2 stops down from 6.7.

Last edited: