Nikon D600 - review from a fellow member ad potential issue with my copy

aZuMi

Nikon D600 - review from a fellow member and potential issue with my copy

I was hoping that everything is fine and dandy when getting hold of my first pre-ordered item/first full frame camera. I did quite a few ISO tests and they were all great IMHO.A few things I noticed that are not in the reviews are:

1. The grip is definitely "deeper". One of my concers was that the D600 would have the same feel as D90/D7000. This is not the case. Even though it is smaller than D800, it's more comfortable than D7000. Iwas hoping for it to be a little taller, but as it is - the form is great. Very solid and you know it's not cheap material.

2. LCD - I was worried about D800's greenish tinge in the LCD and if D600 has the same issue. Glad to say that the white balance looks correct in the LCD.

3. I'm really looking for potential issues here and I think I found one very annoying thing...when you first turn on the camera. Then you press the shutter to shoot. For the first few shots you make, it hangs!! The LCD turns black and green light is on. I tried to turn it off, and it won't turn off. Pressed the shutter and it won't do anything. Pressed live view, playback, info buttons. Nothing. This lasts for about 15 seconds!

I posted a video so you can all see...can anyone tell me what's wrong here? My initial thoughts are to go back to the store and get a new one....

Another cool thing I tried is the DX mode. Even if you have full frame, you can shoot DX mode in your full frame. Very cool feature invade you need the extra reach. The view finder doesn't change, but it shows an outline of the DX framing in the viewfinder.

With a 50mm 1.8
NikonD600 (7 of 7)_zps3eacdeed.jpg

With a 80-200mm 2.8
NikonD600 (5 of 7)_zps4357d95c.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Damnit don't tell me they rushed this one out without QC...and don't tell me you need to be an advanced user to deal with this camera...man man man...

aZuMi

Damnit don't tell me they rushed this one out without QC...and don't tell me you need to be an advanced user to deal with this camera...man man man...

I don't know if it's because the battery wasn't fully charged or not. I'll reset it to factory settings and try with a fresh battery.

AC016

ugh! That is not cool dude. Sorry that you have to go through this with your new purchase. Let's hope that when you reset the camera and put fresh battery in, all is good. I would really hate for you to go through the process of a return. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is just one unit.

aZuMi

Thanks for all the replies. I did a few shots this morning and so far there's no lag. Along with the fresh batteries, I also reset the custom settings to default while I'm testing so I know it won't be user error. I'm hoping it's the battery or my own inexperience.

In fairness to the D600, it's my first FF camera and the jump from a D90 is quite steep still. There will be lots of learning with this new body.

Aside from that, I'm really impressed by how solid and good it feels on my hands. I can live without the grip for a while. I'll post up some sample photos tonight..

AC016

Thanks for all the replies. I did a few shots this morning and so far there's no lag. Along with the fresh batteries, I also reset the custom settings to default while I'm testing so I know it won't be user error. I'm hoping it's the battery or my own inexperience.

In fairness to the D600, it's my first FF camera and the jump from a D90 is quite steep still. There will be lots of learning with this new body.

Aside from that, I'm really impressed by how solid and good it feels on my hands. I can live without the grip for a while. I'll post up some sample photos tonight..

That is good news to hear. I don't beleive it should have done that. I was able to shoot no probs with my 5100 straight out of the box. Anyhow, hope whatever gremlin it was, that it is dead now. Happy for you, looking forward to some pictures.

aZuMi

That is good news to hear. I don't beleive it should have done that. I was able to shoot no probs with my 5100 straight out of the box. Anyhow, hope whatever gremlin it was, that it is dead now. Happy for you, looking forward to some pictures.

Good news guys. Did more test shots during lunch and I haven't experienced any of the lag. I suspect it was caused by the battery since it hasn't been charged yet when I started using the camera.

Did more ISO tests with 30 second exposure and it looks really good. My 6400 ISO looks like 1600 from my D90 IMO!

RRRoger

mine works fine.
But, I did have to change about 20 settings to get it the way I like to shoot.
This camera is somewhere between the D7000 and D800
Lucky for me that I now have all three.
I do not like reading the paper manual and the pdf has not posted yet.

aZuMi

hrm, was it reading that it had a low battery?

By the time I doing the video, there was around 1-2 bars left on it. It didn't specifically say Low Batt, which was why I was worried. But at the same time, I haven't charged the battery yet since getting the camera.

AC016

Good news guys. Did more test shots during lunch and I haven't experienced any of the lag. I suspect it was caused by the battery since it hasn't been charged yet when I started using the camera.

Did more ISO tests with 30 second exposure and it looks really good. My 6400 ISO looks like 1600 from my D90 IMO!

That is a releif!! Not just for you, but for everyone else wanting to buy this camera.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
By the time I doing the video, there was around 1-2 bars left on it. It didn't specifically say Low Batt, which was why I was worried. But at the same time, I haven't charged the battery yet since getting the camera.

Strange - maybe it's some kind of battery saving features that turns off the screen. Although it really didn't turn off, it just went blue.

aZuMi

Strange - maybe it's some kind of battery saving features that turns off the screen. Although it really didn't turn off, it just went blue.

Yea, it might be battery or the actual card itself. I also changed my card now I using 8GB eyefi pro and it works well. Just came back from a local car meet and took tons of shots from ISO 2500 to 3200 in jpg. Will post it once I get to process them.

I just love it when I see canon users use pop up flash or their EX flash during the car meets at night. I know that their cameras all can't handle the low light while here I am enjoying my natural light with lower noise than their canon at 800 ISO+flash.

Oh and a random girl noticed my Nikon D600 and asked me about it :) definitely a plus for the D600! Lol

Nikonitus

Some good suggestions from the people who pitched in to help. Hopefully you have seen the last of that glitch. At first I thought it may have been a software (firmware) problem and was about to suggest trying to get ahold of the available firmware to reload it, but when somebody mentioned a flat battery, I suddenly remembered a similar experience I had with a Sony HX20V I bought just a few weeks back. I bought it, got it home, plugged in the battery which showed as almost fully charged, then proceeded to set up the cameras options etc. After about 10 minutes of settings, I took my first shot. The camera went "click" and then shut down. Uh oh, I thought I had a dud. I switched it back on then saw the battery level was right down to nothing. I charged it up and have never had any problems since... Maybe it "was" the battery being just a little low on energy...

I just bought a D600 and made sure the battery was charged before use...

Now that I am actually using it, I too will look for a random girl - hahahaha, just kidding... I hope you enjoy the camera...

Last edited: