How to make an HDR image

D70S

Hey, I thought I might ask how one would make an HDR image, and how does it differ from another regular image?

Just-Clayton

This is a picture I show my friends. The left is HDR 3 layer and on the right is one layer. I guess you could say it puts a little pop in the picture. I don't do it enough to fully explain. maybe, cnyram(Rick) can give you some tips.

barn3 (800x531).jpg

Last edited:

D70S

alright, so what I understand(mixed with what i assumed), is that you take 3 or more photos in quick succession and merge them together to give it that dark look?

fotojack

alright, so what I understand(mixed with what i assumed), is that you take 3 or more photos in quick succession and merge them together to give it that dark look?

Yes and no. :) You take 3 pictures, for instance, each one at a different EV (Exposure Value). So the first is underexposed, the next is properly exposed and the third is over exposed. So...-.30EV....+/-0EV....+.3EV Merge those three together and voila! HDR! :)

Eye-level

Banned
HDR is a funny tool though...it is very good at "hiding" amateur mistakes. It is kind of like BBQ sauce...you really don't need the sauce if you have great meat. And just like BBQ it is so easy to go overboard especially for amateur photographers and even experienced ones.

If you go down this road there is one word IMO...photomatix.

Last edited:

John P

HDR is a funny tool though...it is very good at "hiding" amateur mistakes. It is kind of like BBQ sauce...you really don't need the sauce if you have great meat. And just like BBQ it is so easy to go overboard especially for amateur photographers and even experienced ones.

If you go down this road there is one word IMO...photomatix.

Well said.

Just-Clayton

What eye-level said. Me, I like my barbecue sauce light, just strong enough to give it flavor.I do add more sauce , depending on the subject.I try not to over do it.

bridge1 (640x425).jpg.
light
higman station (640x461).jpg.

medium

higman (800x533).jpg
Too much sauce

Last edited:

D70S

so basicly HDR only works on stationary things cause you have to have more than one shot right? and would windows live photo gallery work to merge the photos together?

Scott Murray

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
You can make sort of a fake HDR with a single image...open it with windows photo gallery or PS or whatever...adjust the exposure low and high making three seperate images..then combine with Photomatix

This one is a little overbaked and needs some heavy PP but it is a single image HDR...

N_Addy

HDRSoft sells one of the more popular HDR editors on the market. They have some good info on their site for learning about the critter. You can also try their software for free (just to play around with HDR). Check out the tutorial.

HDR photography software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & High Dynamic Range Imaging for photography

While I agree with what eye-level said about it being a "crutch" (my term) there are some situations where it can be used to advantage. Take a scene which has very bright highlights and deep shadows, for example. This shot would be a challenge to expose with a single shot. But using the dynamic range in the scene makes it pop.

DSC2168tm-X2.jpg

Here's another example of high-contrast. This HDR is slightly more "baked" than the other.

894940551_k56cx-X2.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
You can download a trial version of photomatix just google their website download it and get to practicing...I have the free version and I use the Gimp to manipulate the pictures so I don't get their watermark.

Rick M

Another way to deal with moving objects is to tonemap a single shot. No single shot manipulation is HDR, but you can create a simulation. Several bracketed shots is the only way to increase the dynamic range.