Tips on taking photos at parties

CourtneyLippiatt

Hi Guys,

I am new to photography and have been asked to photograph a 21st party at a nightclub. I have only just started using my nikon d3100 on manual mode and am still figuring out a lot of the settings. I have the 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens. I don't have any other accessories (cash flow problem :) )
Does anyone have any tips for photographing in such low light conditions?
Is a Flash diffuser of any use?
What settings should I use?
Any other tips would also be helpful...

Thanks
Courtney

pedroj

Welcome...Tough choir...Get somebody else to do it..Will you be able to use flash...ISO 800...Aperture wide open..

Without knowing what the lighting is it wont be a picnic...

CourtneyLippiatt

Thanks, I like jumping in the deep end, so getting someone else to do it... probably not...

Yes I will be able to use a flash, have been told to go out and buy an external one by numerous people, and will think about it eventually, but not there just yet.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you don't want to miss a lot of photos, I'd suggest just putting your camera on auto, with the flash. Depending on the distance between you and your subjects, the flash should do the job and the camera should expose it right. Just remember that when your subjects are further away from you, the flash's power diminishes exponentially. So try to avoid the temptation to use too long of a focal length (zoom). Try to stay around the wide angle side of your lens and you should be OK.

Remember that you can check your shots as you go, but that takes you away from the action and you can loose THE good shot while you are just chimping.

Best of luck.