The pricing of the D600

stmv

A couple of thoughts come to mind,

The first is the yield of a FX sensor to a DX sensor, the FX is twice the size in actual area, and it has more transistors, not quite the same density of the D7000, but yield across a silicon wafer is on a log curve when the chips get large, In the end, some bad pixels are most likely on every single sensor shipped, because at that size silicon, getting 100% PERFECT would make the cost become so high, that nobody could afford buying digital.

Since the camera bodies of the D600 and D7000 are almost identical, then you know the delta cost is all to the sensors. Does the cost of the silicon drive the delta to 2X the price,, maybe,,

but maybe,, it is more a supply and demand, Nikon has been hit with severe supply constraints and angry potential customers. If this camera had been priced at 1500-1600 dollar, the pent up FX demand would have created an crisis of supply, driving up the black market, and more bad press.

So, the 2100 dollar price range provides some slowdown of the purchases of this camera. Because, I do agree, that for that price range, the D600 should have had more the build quality/features of a D700 and not a D7000 (I own both). If the D600 had the full features of the D700, I would have been tempted to buy the D600 at 2100 dollars, but not with the D7000 quality body.

and, if the D600 with the D7000 quality body was only 1500, then I would have been tempted to sell the D7000, and buy up to full FX set of kits. Me and so many others, creating a huge supply crisis as I discussed,

So, I think Nikon is doing the right corporate thing by pricing at 2100 dollars narrowing the customers to those that have not yet bought a FX camera, and keeping out all those D700 buyers (I recommend the D800 still for any person upgrading from a D700 (I have been totally happy upgrading from a D700 to a D800 with no loss of features, and even more function).

will be interesting to watch the order volume on this product.

Eye-level

Banned
Sounds perfectly logical to me. I wonder what shareholders will think if these D600's set on the shelf gathering dust for a couple of quarters? I would assume most of the heavy hitters are already holding D800's and the rest of the world that can afford the 1K plus price tag are already holding D7000's. Both groups are probably very happy with what they have.

stmv

well,,, I bet they sell enough to keep the shelves fairl empty. if not, then,, can see discounts down to 1800,, which would kick the sells into higher gear.

Sambr

If think they will sell a ton of D600 - more so than the D800(sales of D800E's not included) The D600 is postioned just right. Some folks will skip the D800 and either opt for the D800E(must be better cost more) of simply save themselves $700 - $1000.00 and buy the D600. I think the later will prevail.

PapaST

I'm itching for one, but I think I'll wait till later this year and maybe get one off a holiday discount... assuming they are available. Like you guys, I'm interested to see if these sales are like hot cakes or fruit cakes.

Sambr

well,,, I bet they sell enough to keep the shelves fairl empty. if not, then,, can see discounts down to 1800,, which would kick the sells into higher gear.

Don't bet on it. This small FX camera has been anticipated by a lot of people. The price wouldn't go down for a long time, my opinion only :)

Eye-level

Banned
Nikon's mirrorless rig was much anticipated also. Came in at a terribly high price point and flopped. Interesting about the little camera was it has taken forever for them to drop the price. I know that is not really a fair comparison but it is proof that the marketing wonks at Nikon can and do blunder big time.

You'd think they would have learned with the D700 out at the same time as the D3.

Last edited:

Sambr

Nikon has been around the block. I think they know exactly what they are doing! Nikon NEVER once complained about D3 sales, in most cases you were hard pressed to find one in stock, in fact at the beginning unless you were a Pro and could prove it you could only buy 1. Buy the time the D700 came out they had surpassed their loss ratio on the D3 anymore sold would be pure profit. The D700 picked up th ball and ran with it cheaper to make and bigger profits. Nikon knew exactly what it was doing. The "arm chair directors" whom don't have one cent in Nikon expressed slow sales of the D3.

stmv

I was asking the OP, STMV. But thanks for letting me know :)

well, no,, I am happy with the D7000/D800, D7000 for the 1.5X DX sensor factor, and the D800 for the FX mode. Maybe someday if they drop the price to say 1600, then could see going all FX sensor.